The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't do this.....

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by itechdev, Feb 17, 2012.

1. itechdev

itechdev Member

Hi guys,

Thought I'd report this problem I had. I removed an account in WHM and didn't realise I was logged in via SSH under that user (su'ed to root). Not long after removing the account, my console shut down automatically (good news), but I was no longer able to SSH back in to the machine. After rebooting the box, any login attempt was blocked with the message "no supported authentication methods available".

Thanks to Jared for this post, it saved my life:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/no-supported-authentication-methods-available-153721.html#post648037

When I was automatically logged off my terminal, SSH went haywire and couldn't be restarted, shutdown or connected to. A reboot fixed this but then I had the no supported authentication methods error.

I had root logins disabled and had another user already on the group wheel to replace the user I was removing. It was just that I had forgotten to logout of SSH before killing the account that caused it.

Cheers

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The SSH autofixer script does come in handy when something goes wrong and you have no access to ssh. This same script resets the ssh port to 22 I believe as well.

When using wheelgroup users, its important to always have a backup or backdoor login as well in case of issues like this when you disable root login.

3. robertlee749

robertlee749 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey,
    Thanks to sharing this info. sometimes i seems it asking too many times to logging, so what is the problem occured behind this.?