The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't understand RPM Package Installer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeremyB, Jan 29, 2006.

1. JeremyB

JeremyB Registered

I don't really understand RPM Package Installer. I see packages but not versions.

For example, rpm -qa shows me that I have these MySQL modules installed.

MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-bench-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-devel-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-client-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-server-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-embedded-4.0.25-0
    MySQL-shared-4.0.25-0

I would like to upgrade to 4.1.16-1

Can one use RPM Package Installer to control the specific versions of software?

I've read the official docs here, but it's pretty bare bones and doesn't really explain this.

Thanks -

jeremyb

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's because rpm's have nothing to do with cPanel as such and so there won't be any documentation. The rpm system was devised by RedHat for distributing applications and as such is the basis for the OS vendor to provide updates to the operating system. For that you need to read up on the specific OS vendor that you're using on your server about their update system.

That aside, if you want to upgrade to MySQL v4.1 there's an option in WHM > Tweak Settings to do so.

3. JeremyB

JeremyB Registered

Still not clear on this. There are numerous packages listed on my server (CentOS) under WHM's RPM Package Installer ("Install an RPM"). So if I were to select MySQL-server.i386 what exactly does it - or any of the other numerous packages listed (none with version info) - install?

Second, under WHM > Tweak Settings there is a 4.1 upgrade, but it doesn't say which MySQL product (max, standard, etc) or which 4.1 version (latest 4.1.16). Do folks really rely on this to upgrade MySQL rather than being able to specify the exact version and modules using rpm via a CLI?

Thanks -

jeremyb

#3 JeremyB, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  4. dev_cw

dev_cw Well-Known Member

I am going to hitch a ride on this post with a simular question.

I installed logwatch by the install RPM through WHM, and it is running fine. However I notice hat the version installed is 2.6 but by checking out the logwatch website it seems that they are on version 7.2

My question: Is there a reason that WHM installs v2.6? Should I manually install v7.2? Also if I should up to 7.2 do I need to un-install 2.6 or will the new install overwrite the old one.