The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Forward ( with gmail ) partially working .

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by krembo99, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. krembo99

krembo99 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have setup forwarders on mydomain.com in the following way :

Code:
    mail1@mydomain.com --> mymail@gmail.com
    mail2@mydomain.com --> mail1@mydomain.com

mail2@mydomain.com does not exists as a mail account and is meant to be an alias for mail1 ..

The problem is that when I send a mail to mail2@mydomain.com it does arrive to the mail1@mydomain.com inbox ( checking with webmail roundcube ) but it is not forwarded to mymail@gmail.com.

More specifically , I have noticed that this behavior is not consistent meaning that if the mail is sent from some addresses - it will arrive ( after long time , up to 10 minutes ) - but if I send it from the same gmail address it is supposed to arrive to - the 2nd forwarder does not work .

example :

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]mail sent from mymail.yahoo.com to mail2@mydomain.com will be correctly accepted and forwarded to mymail@gmail.com
    [/LIST]
    mymail.yahoo.com --> mail2@mydomain.com --> mail1@mydomain.com -> mymail@gmail.com

[LIST]
    [*]mail sent from mymail@gmail.com to mail2@mydomain.com will NOT be correctly accepted and forwarded to mymail@gmail.com
    [/LIST]
    mymail.yahoo.com --> mail2@mydomain.com --> mail1@mydomain.com {{ X }}  mymail@gmail.com

The second forwarder in this case, is somehow ignored or not working .

Other Info :

I have only cpanel access ( no whm access on this server ).
    cpanel 58.0 (build 24)
    Spam assasin is disabled ( if that is of any concern )
    Trace ( track delivery ) tree seems correct .
    I am not sure if that is any help, but The specific gmail address in question is authorized to sent mails using this domain ( mail1@mydomain.com )

#1 krembo99, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recommend contacting your web hosting provider and asking them to enable the SRS option to see if that fixes the problem.

As an end-user without root access, it's likely the following paragraph from Best practices for forwarding mail to Gmail - Gmail Help applies to you if your hosting provider is unable to help:

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

3. krembo99

krembo99 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is no possibility to add "Send mail as " because the mail2@mydomain.com is not an existing mailbox ( should be an alias ) and therefor there is no Password / Username .

The forwarding should work like this :

Code:
    mail2@mydomain.com --> mail1@mydomain.com --> mymail@gmail.com.
    Or in other termss

Code:
    Alias --> Real Inbox --> gmail
    Did anyone reproduced this problem ?

I did see a thread with similar problem ( twitter ) - But I could not really understand the solution , or if there was any - and since I do not have an WHM on that server ,I could not verify that the logfiles have similar errors .

I could try to reproduce this problem on other servers with whm - But I am not sure it would be reproduced because other settings might be different .

Other solutions ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not aware of additional solutions without root access to the affected system. I recommend consulting with your web hosting provider so they can review /var/log/exim_mainlog and determine exactly what's happening.

Thank you.