The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

doubt about FTP backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neorder, Nov 1, 2009.

1. neorder

neorder Well-Known Member

I've 3 question about FTP backup

1. According to Configure Backup FTP backup doesn't backup database.

but i've read forum post that database were actually backed up. and if it's not working, then why provide the configuration: Backup SQL Databases (at least "Per Account" is needed to use the restore feature)

2. I've scheduled FTP backup, when will server initialate the backup process, how can I schedule it run at an "off peak" time?

3. The FTP password is displayed in the configuration file, if server is hacked, hacker can actually see the password and delete away ftp server backups.

So, what's the answer on these.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel does indeed backup databases. Can you point directly to the comment on the wiki that says it does not?

You can run the backup at anytime using this command:
    /scripts/cpbackup --force

If you'd like to change the time the cronjob runs to better suit you, in your WHM find the section called cPanel on left menu, click Manage Plugins, find this one near bottom of list: cronconfig and tick the box beside it. At bottom of page click Save.

Refresh WHM page and find Plugins on left menu, select Configure cPanel Cron Times. There you can edit the cron to your liking.

Agreed. I don't have an answer for this one for you. Other than removing it after running the backup. But if the server is hacked, that off site backup is the least of your concerns.

One last note, if you'd like to run an off server backup one time, select Monthly only. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of backups.

HTH

3. neorder

neorder Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply bro:

Here is where I read about it:

2. I found it according to your instruction, thanks!

3. WHM only gave this FTP option as backup. And FTP can't compress, I've lots of clients' data to backup, I suppose FTP will take very long...this is not a good solution anyway.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm going to leave commenting on the wiki you've quoted to the cPanel team.

I can assure you though that this is not the case. I've been doing remote FTP backups for many years. 1, they are compressed tar.gz files, and 2, they do indeed contain my MySQL databases for all users.

If you'd like to do a test run to be sure yourself, at bottom of the backup config page, find the "Select Specific Users" button, open it and deselect all users but one, save. Back on the main page, choose these options.

Status, enabled.
    Monthly.
    Monthly.
    Pick today whatever day it is.
    Remount/Umount, Enabled.
    Bail out, Enabled.
    Compress, Enabled.
    Backup Configs, Disabled.
    Backup SQL databases, Per Account and Entire Directory.
    Backup Access Logs, Enabled.
    Backup Type, Remote FTP.
    Setup your FTP details next as needed.

Now, force a backup. As root, run this command from shell.
    /scripts/cpbackup --force

Once it completes extract the backup and find the mysql directory and make sure the DBs are in it.

Off server backups, depending on server load and number of accounts do indeed take a long time.

I disagree that this is not a good solution. This is a great solution. (This is only one of many solutions, R1Soft, a second HDD, etc, but a good one all the same) If the DC or the server itself burns to the ground and you don't have an off server backup where would you be?

Me, I'd be out of business here and make many enemies out of customers that loved me only a day before... ;)

Best of luck to you.