The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dovecot - Account Does Not Exist

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bloatedstoat, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael,

This issue has cropped up again. I'll try and explain the best I can the situation with the first.

There was an original cpanel account, "Account A". Account A was removed from the server as the user no longer wanted the domain sitting within it.

A new account was created, "Account B", under which there is a different domain.

The domain that formerly resided under "Account A" was then aliased under Account B and a mail forwarder put in place to forward mail sent to an Account A email address to an Account B email address. This was done so the user did not lose mail.

Dovecot reports this error:

Code:
    The “/usr/bin/doveadm” command (process 683325) reported error number 67 when it ended.: doveadm(user@accounta): Error: User doesn't exist
    Account A was removed so the error is legit. The user indeed does not exist, but somewhere along the line the email address used for the domain that sat under the original Account A is being referenced by dovecot.

In the second /home/$cpanel-username/mail/$domain.com/ exists but the $email-username directory does not.

Code:
    The “/usr/bin/doveadm” command (process 683315) reported error number 67 when it ended.: doveadm(non-existent-user@existing-domain): Error: User doesn't exist
    Hope this explanation helps!

Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @bloatedstoat,

I've been unable to reproduce this issue on a test system running cPanel version 58.0.31. Could you verify the version of cPanel installed on your system? Also, could you provide more information on some of the reproduction steps? For instance, what type of forwarder are you adding to the new cPanel account? Are you creating any email accounts on the original account and the new account for the affected domain name, and if so, is the issue isolated to email accounts that were previously created? Have you verified the affected domain name is in the /etc/localdomains file?

Thank you.

3. bloatedstoat

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael,

Thanks for the email and sorry for the delay, I missed the notification of your response.

Version is 11.58.0.32

I really don't know how to reproduce this, however; here are the steps I went through:
    1. olddomain.com at one time was an account in its own right with an email account sitting under it, user_AT_olddomain.com
    2. I removed the account hosting olddomain.com entirely using WHM.
    3. I added a new account in WHM with a freshly registered domain name, newdomain.com
    4. I then added olddomain.com using the aliases area in newdomain.com's cpanel interface.
    5. After that I set up a forwarder in newdomain.com's cpanel interface pointing user_AT_olddomain.com to user_AT_newdomain.com so the user did not lose any email sent to user_AT_olddomain.com
    In some of our reports I see this multiple times over:

Expiring trash for "user_AT_olddomain.com" in the "INBOX.Trash" mailbox …The "/usr/bin/doveadm" command (process 491725) reported error number 67 when it ended.: doveadm(user@olddomain.com): Error: User doesn't exist
    The "/usr/bin/doveadm" command (process 491728) reported error number 67 when it ended.: doveadm(user@olddomain.com): Error: User doesn't exist
    Done

Both olddomain.com and newdomain.com are present in /etc/localdomains

Hope this better explains things.
    Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here and we will update this thread with the outcome.

Thanks!

5. bloatedstoat

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. bloatedstoat

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a heads up, analyst William Little solved this one:

"This was due to the email address still existing in the dovecot sqlite database".

The entry was removed and the issue is now resolved, case closed.

cPanelMichael likes this.