Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Dovecot concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunderchild, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sorry but I am being charged £10 per month for cPanel only to find that your using dovecot, the thing that prompted me to leave vesta behind after an update to vesta meant a reinstall of dovecot with a bug. So we are paying people to integrate buggy freeware stuff together? why don't you write your own solution. I convinced myself to pay £10 a month I cannot afford and another £10 a month for a server upgrade to support cPanel only to find you using the same buggy stuff i was getting for free on a server for 2/3 the price....

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Thunderchild,

I moved this post to it's own thread so we can address it separately. Could you provide some more information about the specific issue with Dovecot that you are concerned about? We're happy to help troubleshoot any particular issue you are facing. Keep in mind that while we utilize software such as Exim and Dovecot with cPanel & WHM, it all still goes through our internal testing to ensure it works properly.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Thunderchild

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a server running vesta, after regular failures to update a particular item (nginx) I somehow managed to get vesta fully updated through SSH commands. the result was that I could no longer receive mail to my mail client although I beleive the server itself was still receiving the mail and storing it. After some googling around and not much help from the linux nerds on the vesta forum I finally managed to fix what seemed to be a well known problem of "mail = yes" being missing from a configuration file in dovecot the mail server that apparently powers over 70% of mail servers and by miracle with my total lack of knowledge in linux and servers I was able to fix. So i decided to leave vesta alone and go with a support comercial solution like cPanel, and now I have a second server under my belt until i move my accounts and ditch the vesta one. I think cPanel may have had similar issues some time ago but my point is that if you are just streaming into cPanel other software you don't control and as I have found this is buggy where does that leave cPanel users ? or could it be a particular implementation in vesta that went wrong?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Dovecot and the associated mail server functionality is tested thoroughly to ensure it works properly on the cPanel & WHM environment. Stock versions of Dovecot are not simply published directly with cPanel & WHM as they become available upstream, if that's your concern. We're happy to help assist you with any issues that arise.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Thunderchild

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator