The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dovecot working for sub, but not Primary account.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PackCat, Feb 20, 2012.

1. PackCat

PackCat Active Member

I know someone must be familar with this problem, I've seen it fixed before.

After some problems on a new VPS, I noticed a problem with email not being delivered, or was outright rejected.
    It is happening with all the user primary accounts, but not the sub-account email addresses.

I even went as far as re-routed my primary mail account to a sub-account and it will receive just fine, but not any of the Primary accounts. I ran through all of the normal diagnostics by resetting permissions, and ensuring /etc/valiases are set (*: username)

My datacenter provider is clueless, but I will not call them out because they are the #1 rated VPS provider.
    But after 72 hours, if they do not get a clue soon, I may call them out on every social network.

Another problem, most likely unrelated, is it keeps expanding my host entries in domain zone records to record entries of their very own. I keep removing them, but they keep reappearing. example: (private.mydomain.com) has decided to have a zone record of its own, instead of an entry in the default user domain zone record (mydomain.com).

2. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please elaborate with an example.

by sub-account do you mean addon domain? or reseller account?

How did you "re-route" the emails?

3. PackCat

PackCat Active Member

I simply mean add an email account to a domain.

Example: peter.com; userID peter = primary
    peter@peter.com fails all email.
    technically it bounces around the server on 3 passes thru virtual_aliases and dies.

1. peter@peter.com (virtual_aliases via /etc/valiases/peter.com)
    2. peter@server.WHMdomain.com (virtual_aliases via /etc/valiases/server.WHMdomain.com),
    3. WHMaccount@server.WHMdomain.com (virtual_aliases via /etc/valiases/server.WHMdomain.com),

But if I create sally@peter.com and I Send all unrouted email for:
    peter.com -> sally@peter.com, (Set Default Address - ./mail/def.html)
    it receives perfectly fine in Sally's account.

1. virtual_aliases via /etc/valiases/peter.com
    2. virtual_user to local delivery)

Unfortunately, cPanel does not allow you to delete the primary account and rebuild.
    I do not even know if I completely delete the domain and restore from backup, if this will fix the problem.

4. ruzbehraja

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    what is the exact error that is being bounced?

can you copy-paste an extract of the logs too.

5. PackCat

PackCat Active Member

either you know or you don't.... please don't ask me to recite 10 pages of documentation.
    I think I just illustrated in a very detail method what is happening to email.
    No matter what I describe, I am guessing your thirst for more information will never be satisfied.
    I am looking for answers, not more questions.

the question is VERY simple...
    What would cause all of my Primary domains to reject email, but if I create an additional email account, that will work just fine.

I think the problem is on my vps provider.. when I changed the hostname in WHM, it broke cPanel and lost the license.

#5 PackCat, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. ruzbehraja

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi PackCat,

Firstly, I did not ask you to recite any "documentation".

Logs and documentation are separate things.

While I understand that this may be a problem you have been dealing with since a long time, and you may have run out of patience, the only reason why more details are required, is to help you (and others on the forum) to identify the problem, if not directly, then by elimination of possibilities, hence your replies would be essential.

The only person it will be immediately benefiting will be you.

Incase you do not wish to reveal any more information on the forums and keep it open for guesses, I would suggest using professional "paid" help as given here: Additional Support Options - cPanel Inc.

When using the forum do keep in mind this: http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/how-not-ask-support-37857.html#post179824

Thanks and have a good day!

7. PackCat

PackCat Active Member

I am sorry to inform you... I have paid support that has been working on it for a week and their best answer is that creating additional email accounts work fine, while failing to address the real problem, that primary accounts do not.
    It seems to me, the Primary (Default) should always work, and any problems should be with additional email accounts.
    I meant 10 pages of my documentation to detail the problem.

I would be happy to provide full headers and errors, but I simply do not have the time to go through all of the details and redact personal information.

Considering that simply changing HOSTNAME in WHM breaks cPanel license, my provider has finally agreed to provision a new VPS from scratch and manually migrate my domains.
    At least this has the advantage of being a clean system.

#7 PackCat, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. PackCat

PackCat Active Member

This was resolved with one simple process. They provisioned me a new VPS and I transferred the domains.
    now all email works great.

VPS still needs to be rebooted before fixing cPanel license crash issue after a HOSTNAME change.
    If you do not have access at the VPS level (above) WHM, this can be a problem and require a support call to your provider.