The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downgrade MySQL 5.0 to 4.1 on cpanel 11.25 ...

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by JerryHobby, Aug 24, 2010.

1. JerryHobby

JerryHobby Registered

I need to have a a cpanel server with MySQL 4.1 installed. This is necessary to support a few very old sites until they can be upgraded to MySQL 5 compatible.

The current revision of cpanel 11.25 only seems to support 5.0. I really need MySQL 4 for this special purpose server.

If there is a way to downgrade MySQL to 4.1, or even to downgrade cpanel to an older version that does support MySQL 4.1, that would be excellent.

The server I am trying to configure has nothing on it. It is a fresh install. I am not concerned about data. I just need a cpanel server with MySQL 4.1.

-----

BONUS QUESTION: Since I have hundreds of sites on my primary server, I have been afraid to upgrade from MySQL 4 to 5 on that server. I am about to "take the plunge" and upgrade that server to 5.0. The server I'm describing above will be my emergency fall-back for sites that do not tolerate the upgrade from MySQL 4 to 5. Question ... how much trouble should I anticipate from upgrading to MySQL 5? I'm sure I have old Mambo, Joomla, Drupal, osCommerce, dadamail, and other packages as well as custom code. Anyone willing to share a few things that I should "watch out for" in preparing to upgrade?

2. prashant_ohol

prashant_ohol Active Member

Hi,

its new brand server then you can downgrade the mysql using below steps.

edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config using below command.

vi /var/cpanel/cpanel.config
    then in it search for mysql-version and then put mysql-version=4.1

save the file and run the /scripts/mysqlup --force

Prashant

3. JerryHobby

JerryHobby Registered

Success!

I did precisely as you stated. I'm amazed at how easy that was. Thank you so much.

Jerry

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Define MySQL version before installing cPanel - Downgrading post-install not advised

I would only consider removing and re-installing the MySQL installation on a new server and preferably before installing cPanel, such as what appears to be the case in this thread. You may configure options prior to installing cPanel as described in the following documentation: Advanced Options: cPanel Pre-Installation

Cautionary Warning: Before considering a downgrade of an existing MySQL installation, please carefully read the following post: cPanel Forums - View Single Post - No option to downgrade mysql version

#4 cPanelDon, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010