Downgrading from 10 addon domains to 5 - what about existing domains?

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

What happens when a client has a package that includes 10 addon domains (and uses all 10) and then downgrades to a package with 5 addon domains?
We've seen this happen, and it doesn't seem like anything happens. cPanel just reports that the client is using 10/5 addon domains, and the client can't add any other domains, but he's still able to use all 10.

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Well, that can be abused to death then.
Client can upgrade to allow adding more domains and then downgrade immediately after. Additional domains is free for the client then.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @DennisMidjord,

I recommend creating a feature request for the ability to block package downgrades when an account uses more than the new resource limit (e.g. block downgrades to new packages when an account uses more addon domains than the new package allows). You can post the feature request link here once it's opened to encourage others to vote for it.

Thank you.

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPanelMichael,

But that wouldn't work with WHMCS, would it? Can WHMCS read how many addon domains a specific account is using?
I'm thinking whether or not it would be better for cPanel to just suspend some of the domains (redirect the browser to a suspended page), but I have no idea if that would be better or not.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @DennisMidjord,

WHMCS could integrate such a feature depending on how it was implemented since the number of addon domains utilized by an account is obtainable through an API function.

I'm thinking whether or not it would be better for cPanel to just suspend some of the domains (redirect the browser to a suspended page), but I have no idea if that would be better or not.
It's more likely such a feature would be implemented as a preventative measure (e.g. prompt for approval or block in cases where changing the account's package would lead to exceeding the new resource limit).

Thank you.

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would love to vote and comment on your feature request.

I think in principle it is a very good idea.

Unfortunately, all I get when attempting to follow your link is a 401 No permissions to view this page! error, so I would guess that your request is stuck in a queue pending the gods approval.

I do hope that it is approved before it's forgotten about, and disappears for ever into the morass that is the feature request system.