The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download an email account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bowbeforeroot, Oct 19, 2012.

1. bowbeforeroot

bowbeforeroot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Guys,

I need to download an entire email account for a client.

Is there any way to do this by default so they can open it in an email client (i.e. each message as .eml format?).

If not, what is the easiest way to download an email account just so that the client can actually view the emails?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Setting up the account on the users email client locally and connecting to the mail server (checking mail) should download all emails from the server. I must not understand your question / situation properly I don't think. Could you expand a bit on this?

3. bowbeforeroot

bowbeforeroot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Basically I have a client with a 20gb+ mailbox and the imap process is so large that I'm making them archive their emails and am sending them a copy on an external HD.

I require to send them this archive so I need to download all their emails off the server and send them in a format the client can understand.

I'm currently just downloading all the emails in Outlook and will copy them over, but is there a more efficient way to do this?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You could setup the account in the users mail client temporarily, using POP3 and be sure to use the option (as in Outlook for example) to "Leave a copy on the server" and then check email. Assuming the IMAP account is also setup in the same email client, disable it first, not so sure that matters but couldn't hurt while you're downloading all that mail.

20GB mailbox is going to be a huge issue though. You might do better to have them clean it up first if possible. They should be able to manage that right from their email client if using IMAP right now.

I hope I'm not confusing this issue more, but I'm not sure what other format would be best to do this in, other than the actual emails. Cleaning it up before doing much else would be advisable I think.