The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downtime reasons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by royli57, Mar 11, 2005.

1. royli57

royli57 Active Member

Hi Everyone

I am new to hosting. I have hosted my own servers, but have never hosted other people's sites before. In the past we have used FreeBSD and installed our own web server software, and this is our first time using cpanel.

I wanted to ask from those with hosting experience, what are the most common reasons for downtime? This is my largest concern, and I want to make sure I can offer a quality service and keep our servers running well.

thanks

Roy

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

IMX, the most common reasons for downtime/innaccessibility (in no particular order):

1. Routine maintenance at the NOC
    2. Networking issues
    3. Server compromise (make sure it's been secured well and the OS and apps are kept up to date)
    4. Hardware failure (make sure that you have backups. rising in preferability: backups on the system disk; backups on their own disk; off-server backups)
    5. Kernel upgrades causing corruption (rare but they do sometimes happen)
    6. As above for glibc upgrades
    7. Make sure you choose a supported OS. Do choose something like FreeBSD, RHE, CentOS. Do not choose something like RH9, Fedora. Otherwise you'll be upgrading or manually patching your OS too often and it will not be as stable as it could/should be.
    8. Slippery fingers while logged in as root - sounds silly, but I've seen amny a server trashed by a missing space or a rm -Rf in the wrong directory, etc.

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can appreciate that, I blew away the /home directory one morning trying to delete some stuff while half asleep

Makes for a BAD day :D

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

I'll add script issues, maybe a bad script will run out of control and consume up large amounts of resources. Maybe look at resource monitoring and secirity limits to take care of this for you.

Email - Maybe someone tries to spam from the server, spam into the server, causing high loads - See Chirpy's great exim_deny script to control mail issues. :)

Hacked scripts - Sometimes kiddies find their way into your server with apache privileges, and download scripts to dos other networks, run irc's or attack your server.
    Install mod_security, add a good rule set to prevent many remote script hacks - but also make sure your OS is secure. Make sure users keep up with their script upgrades.
    Install an iptables based firewall, to prevent ports not in use, being used to flood other networks.

There is no hard and fast rule with security and I would never divulge all the steps that I would take to secure a server - your own security methods, known only to you, as long as they are effective, will serve well and improve your uptime.