The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive Critical: /hda1 (/) is 91% full

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gomangosteen, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gomangosteen

gomangosteen Registered

We just got an email from the cpanel system:

Drive Critical: /hda1 (/) is 91% full

The strange thing is that looking at our system, the only thing I can see is that we have about 90GB of hard drive space, and only about 20GB is actually used? Why would we get this message?

Also, we are perhaps looking for someone knowledgeable in administering a CPANEL site (Dedicated Server), making it secure, frequent backups, etc. Need someone who can translate the technospeak into English for us. :)

Thanks,
    David Natiuk
    GoMangosteen Admin

2. WEB-PROS

WEB-PROS Well-Known Member

Well you harddrive is partioned into different partions hda1 may be reffering to a partion that is nearly full but is only alloated a certain amount of disk space. In whm click on Show Current Disk Usage and do a screen shot and show us.

If you need any more help pm or reply to this topic and i will try my best.

Also does your quotes update automaticly?

try and run /scripts/fixeverything in ssh

3. maximus_marcus

maximus_marcus Well-Known Member

Hello David ,

The cpanel checks the server partitions periodically and then sends in a mail from the root reporting the disk usage of the server which have exceeded the partitions on the server . Please give us a status of the partitions on the server so that i can help you out.

Regards,
    Marcus
    The New Phase Of Support

4. Doug E

Doug E Well-Known Member

Im gonna pick up where this guy left off...

Im getting the specific error..

This partitions status is as follows...

How specifically do I resolve this issue? I don't even know where to look to start deleting files and what files I should be deleting.

I type in /dev/sda1 to my root ssh account and I get back '-bash: /dev/sda1: Permission denied'

Any help for this noob would be much appreciated.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  6. Doug E

Doug E Well-Known Member

Yea, thanks, I would never have thought to do that.

Actually, no, I did, many times and none of the solutions were of any help.

So I hired a guy and he figured it out for me.

Apologies to those who come across this thread, I have little recollection of what he did and very little understanding of how he fixed it.

7. dragon2611

dragon2611 Well-Known Member

I'd say they properly deleted some old kernels/boot images.

/boot is as the name suggests where the files needed to boot the system reside. If you've updated to a new kernel a few times and not removed the old ones If its a small partition it cam get full pretty quickly.

It is possible to clean it out either manually or by uninstalling old kernels with your package manager (if it installed them in the firstplace) But you have to be VERY carefull becuase if you get it wrong you could be left with an un-bootable system

8. Doug E

Doug E Well-Known Member

9. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

As the other users stated, clearing out the unused old kernels would probably help to clear from space from /boot
    although further examination may be in order to see what is going on if you truly are only using 20 GB but the
    system is reporting instead 90+ GB used as it would seem on the surface.

This could be to your swap being allocated to include /boot which it shouldn't be commonly left by mistake,
    or from recent files being removed that have not been fully cleared from the system. If you are running from
    an /ext3 partition (most likely), you could be dealing with journaling issues and just need to update that,
    then you might have core dumps or other logs directed there that should be there. For those, probably need
    to go in and take a look and see what's actually sitting in the partition.

David:

I didn't catch the last part of your post earlier. I have a policy of leaning away from advertising on 3rd party sites but per your comment above, you may want to take a look at my signature and the bulk of my posts on this forum community to get a better feel for who I am but, I will contact you privately more about what you just asked.

#10 Spiral, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009