The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drive partitioning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valuehosted, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Valuehosted

Valuehosted Well-Known Member

This is not a cpanel related question per se, but is it possible to re-partition a linux drive via shell or is required to do an os-reinstallation?

.T

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

depends on how the partitioning is setup now, and what you're needing to do...

If it used LVM, there are some things you can do, others you can't. If you're adding a partition, no problem...

More details needed.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can look at the parted application. However, it's dangerous to play around with partitions on an active system as it's trivial to lose all your data. A better bet would be to make sure you have good backups and then boot the server off of a CD containing partitioning tools that work with ext3 (or whichever file system(s) you're using) and then repartition from there.

It's usually simpler to have a new disk installed with your preferred partition scheme and migrate over to it, carefully.

4. Valuehosted

Valuehosted Well-Known Member

Lytek/chirpy,

Thanks guys - I wish I knew what theplanet were thinking partitioning my system like that and I blame myself not for noticing before making it live. .(

.T