The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping clustered DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gwc_wd, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gwc_wd

gwc_wd Member

The answer may be too obvious as I can find no one with the same question, so apologies if I am just being thick.

My current setup has two servers one of which runs DNSOnly and my DNS entries point to that servers IP address for DNS. It's domain is ns.domain.com

The hosting server running WHM used to be my only DNS server and DNS services continue to run on it, updating the DNSOnly server. It had ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.

All three of those domains now point to the IP address of the DNSOnly server. (i.e. ns, ns1, ns2)

Problems with the DNSOnly server make it wise for me to take it out of service at least until I can resolve its issues.

Can I simply change the IP addresses of ns1 and ns2 back to my WHM server IP and revert to the original single-server infrastructure?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, simply update the "A" records for those NS entries, and then also change the IP addresses assigned to those name servers at the domain registrar. Then, simply disable clustering via "WHM >> DNS Cluster". You may want to allow some time for propagation before shutting down the DNS-Only server.

Thank you.

3. gwc_wd

gwc_wd Member

Thank you for taking the time to help. I'll make the switch tonight and hope I don't misplace a digit :)