The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drowning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omoimasuyo, May 4, 2006.

1. omoimasuyo

omoimasuyo Registered

I am just starting to get into the deep side of programming and this is the first time I have used cpanel. To say the least it's intimidating. I don't even know how to get to the control panel (cpanel) let alone how to use it, add files to it, or anything else. In short, I am drowning and need a lot of help. I looked at some of the tutorials, but they seem to be for people who have gotten to the cpanel already...

=omoimasuyo=

2. DalQuest

DalQuest Member

http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You should contact your hosting provider regarding advice on how to access cPanel.

4. rapidfire911

rapidfire911 Active Member

Did your hosting company not provide you with a username and password for cpanel? Sounds like your hosting company needs a lot of improvement. From what I see, if they havent provided you information like that, ITs time to switch hosts. We even provide videos for our customers on how to use cpanel.

Randy
    Chihost.com technician

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

https://yourdomain.com:2083 will go to your cpanel securely

Your host should have given you a welcome email with at least basic instructions.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I have been doing this for about 8 years now and with cPanel I guess since 99'. To this day I have NEVER seen one of my clients post on this forum nor have I ever seen any of them not know where to get help. For the life of me i can't see how someone that signed up at a hosting company wind up on these forums blindfolded and wondering what to do next. Do some of these hosts just take people's money and then point them here or what? I mean they would have to right? I mean are there links inside our themes to this forum that I don't know about? I close my eyes and imagine a guy on the street corner selling something ..he takes the money ..kicks the guy in the ass and taks off running ..leaving the poor guy standing there with a note that says for help call the software company at this number .. I just can't believe it.

#6 rpmws, May 5, 2006
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That's exactly what some of the so called hosting companies out there are doing. I've seen a few where their website help page says to come here. It's obvious that these "companies" are people who know nothing about the business or running a server and just rent a server with cPanel, throw up a website, and put out advertising. When the customers want help, forget it. They just want the customers money.

What really gets me upset is the fact that most of these fakes will go out of business within a year, but while they're going, they make it harder for the real hosting providers to grow because most of the end users, the customers, don't realize there are fakes out there. They see a fancy website offering hosting real cheap and go for it.

8. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

yep ..and then they get taken for "lifetime" hosting for $99 in the first 3 months. So they loose their files when the so called hosting company formats their servers to start over as a new company. These poor fools that fell for the 99cent or $99 lifetime hosting are now so discouraged that they either give up on a web site all together OR they think any host that uses that damn cPanel (sure looks the same) must be the same crooks that took our money the first time ..OR if we do get a lead ..it's only pure chance that they email or call us and then we have to bend over backwards to get their business. I can't tell you how many emails i have from new possible clients that say things like "when you get done with me and you shut down your server ..can I have back my files?" or ..when you get done with taking my money will I ever hear from you again?. So we as "real" hosts compete against 99cent hosts who ruin the poor people they do capture and hold hostage. People ask me how do I compete against these prices and they send me links claiming that prices on hosting must be going way down ..the internet is cheaper now ..statements like that. So I tell them look ..if you have a real business and you are arguing about an extra $9/month for your web site then maybe you do need the 99cent host. I tell people that sure ..BW and hard drives are cheaper now ..but one thing isn't and that is labor. A 99cent host is paying for servers only ..forget any labor related support. It's disgusting to me. when i started back in 98' I was charging a decent price and giving perfect service. About 3 years ago I noticed a shift on people wanting cheap hosting so sales dropped. So instead of dropping my prices I raised resources per each account and raised new prices. What wound up happening is I weeded out all the 12 year old kids and the ignorant adults that only looked at price and in return wound up with serious clients that can pay $12/month and do on time and I never heard from them because they know what they are doing. I have one guy that has 210 sites with me and has never asked for a reseller account and refuses to let me put him on one. His average price is $11/month per site. I just recently talked him into a managed box just for him and dropped it to $1,000 / month and he waned to make sure my level or support won't go down if he pays less. I assured him know unless he decides to forget to pay me. It's a weird business we are in. I don't have anything against the hosts that are cheap ..that's fine ..let them host 2 gaming sites that require an entire box of resources and bandwidth for $9.95/month each. That's not my idea of making money and keeping happy clients. Regardless of what some people who are afraid of a real phone call with a real business owner needing a hosting company or needing support might think ..this business is about people and always will be. All we are doing is using machines and the net to connect people to people ..take out the people part and you wind up with fragments and parts only of what real web hosting relationships are all about. This is something I have learned the hard way I must admit ..but I know it now and anyone thinking of starting a hosting company out there should consider what I am saying otherwise just build a banner ad farm and get paid per click or something.