The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drupal 6 & mysql 5.6

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Venomous21, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Venomous21

Venomous21 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Currently, I have several drupal 6 sites that are running fine with php 5.3.x & mysql 5.5. I am in the process of moving them to a new server so I can upgrade the old server to php 5.4 without messing up drupal 6 since it causes issues with some of the modules & themes. Unfortunately, the web host only provides VPS pre-loaded with mysql 5.6.

If my drupal 6 sites run fine with mysql 5.5, should they also run fine with mysql 5.6? I've researched the issue and the general consensus seems to be "yes." Anyone have any experience they can share? Obviously, I will test the sites before making them live but want to ask about this so I can plan for any possible problems.

Someone said this:

In your settings.php file change $db_url = 'mysql://...' to $db_url = 'mysqli://...' to use the mysqli driver; it's that simple.

I know cpanel says downgrading mysql from 5.6 to 5.5 is "unsupported" but could I try doing this since I'm running php 5.3? What are the major risks? I would only try this as a last resort.

Thank you.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might do better to ask this over at the Drupal forums. Here's the requirements page:
    https://www.drupal.org/requirements