Dual delivery / forward mail from cpanel to gsuite

Branderman

Registered
Mar 31, 2020
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've been searching the forums and I'm still not sure sure how to go about my problem.

I have a domain lets say: maindomain.com
then there is a cpanel webmail server ip: a.a.a.a
maindomain.com
contains MX records so that mail gets delivered to the webmail server: a.a.a.a

now I've setup G-SUITE and before I change the MX records on my main domain, I want to test it first by forwarding all mail from a.a.a.a to my G-suite accounts.
So Ideally a.a.a.a would still receive all emails, but all emails would also be forwarded to G-suite for testing purposes.
For clarity, the email-Address are the same so [email protected] exists on a.a.a.a AND on G-suite.

How would I go about this?

solutions I'm thinking about but i'm not sure about:
  • Forward mail via domain forwarder.
  • setup a MX records on a.a.a.a to forward it to the gmail server (I have no idea if this would work)
Hope some one can help me out here.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I don't know if this is possible. A domain forwarder would not really give you accurate results, because of the way that forwarders behave with Gmail. You'd also need to have completely different email addresses not associated with the domain to forward to.

What you might be able to do is set up split delivery which Google does call dual delivery - Set up mail dual delivery - G Suite Admin Help

This way specific email addresses send to Gmail and where others you specify go to the server.

yousif

Registered
Apr 15, 2020
Saudi Arabia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi,
I just joined this forums to find a solution to the same topic: Dual Delivery with GSuite. What we need confirmation for is that: Is cPanel support what Google calls "Server-based forwarding" or not?

1586984195390.png

I was trying to find answer to this question with no luck. If you switch your MX records to Google then you may not be able to achieve it this easily, as least this is what happening with me.

Regards,
Yousif

Branderman

Registered
Mar 31, 2020
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
I just joined this forums to find a solution to the same topic: Dual Delivery with GSuite. What we need confirmation for is that: Is cPanel support what Google calls "Server-based forwarding" or not?

View attachment 64709

I was trying to find answer to this question with no luck. If you switch your MX records to Google then you may not be able to achieve it this easily, as least this is what happening with me.

Regards,
Yousif
I was able to find somewhat of a solution in the link cPanelLauren shared.

I ended up forwarding email from our legacy cpanel webmail server to the gmail server by using the test domain alias that Gsuite gives you.
So for example I'm forwarding [email protected] to [email protected]-google-a.com.

This seems to work fine.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

yousif

Registered
Apr 15, 2020
Saudi Arabia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Yes, I am keeping my legacy server as MX master and using test domain aliases as well, but the hosting company has a limit of 250 email per hour and we are easliy reaching that now. I am searching for another provider right now, but it seems all webhosting companies focusing on Wordpress rather than email.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
@yousif

Is it dual delivery or split delivery you're looking for? Dual will deliver to two inboxes, split is for when you need some users at Gmail and some at your own server. Also if you're exceeding mail limits, it may be time to look at obtaining your own VPS.

yousif

Registered
Apr 15, 2020
Saudi Arabia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I am looking for dual delivery as my users still confusing about G Suite and rely more on Microsoft Outlook. I have spent 4 sleepless nights to configure all the Outlook clients Incoming and Outgoing settings (was pointed to IP address instead of mail.domain.com). I have shifted to new provider and after the downtime and all the panic I came to know about this hourly limit. Now it's 1 AM in the morning here and I even don't know what to do. I am asking staff to at least use GMail in their mobile to avoid missing any emails especially those days (medical supply company). The problem with VPS they don't provide unlimited email space like in shared hosting plans. Am I understanding something wrong. And just know I found out this topic. It me sweat a lot as I may lose my job if another downtime happen!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
That's the problem with shared hosting, they impose hourly/daily restrictions. As far as email space goes, a VPS configured to suite your needs with room to grow with would be the most optimal solution. You could also offset email storage space by having users archive mail over x days old.

I removed the reddit article because we don't allow 3rd party links (see Forums Guidelines and FAQ) but I did read it and that's a common issue with providers who overload their Virtual Environments.

Since email is really important for your organization my suggestions would be as follows:

1. A VPS managed by your team for email only - this is totally possible with cPanel

2. A 3rd party service like Gmail or Outlook to manage your email (but use it only)

Since you have Gmail setup it should be pretty to get your users set up in Gmail - since your users are familiar with Outlook this should cover what's needed: Synchronize G Suite with Outlook - G Suite Admin Help

Ultimately this is beyond the scope of support for cPanel, the dual delivery should work with the forwarding but I will be straight forward I hate the idea, forwarders cause a TON of issues with email. I would advise against it at all costs. If it's temporary I can understand but I wouldn't keep the configuration that way.

Reactions: yousif

yousif

Registered
Apr 15, 2020
Saudi Arabia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Truly sorry I didn't read the guidelines as I was so desperate to find a solution. You're 100% right. It seems VPS is the only option. I was trying to have this Dual Delivery work and making Google as MX master to overcome the sending limit. Now I am stuck, but will consider the Sync tool and test tomorrow at office. truly appreciate your support here. I read that Google Cloud is makes it easier to share hosts and emails with other provider but up to now I don't this is taking place in real, that's why I beileve it's up to cPanel team to bring the ultimate solution.