The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual P3 or Single P4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by compunet2, Apr 23, 2003.

?

DUAL Pentium 3 or SINGLE Pentium 4

1. Dual Pentium III

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Single Pentium IV

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to add a new server. Would it be better to have a Dual P3 or a single P4?

Ed

2. WeMasterz5

WeMasterz5 Well-Known Member

really depends on how much $ you want to spend :D

3. compunet2

I'm not too concerned as for as the cost is concerned, as they are both about the same price. I'm looking for which will offer the best performance.

Ed

4. compunet2

By the way, the Dual P3 is a 1.2ghz, with 1gb PC133 ram. The P4 is a 2.0ghz, with 1gb DDR. Everything else (hard drives, etc., are the same). Does the load balancing of the dual p3 offer a benefit over the faster P4?

Ed

5. TheVoice

TheVoice Well-Known Member

it depends the cache size of the P3s. By using the dual cpus you can increase overall cache.

6. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

I would certainly go with the Dual PIII. Try to get at least 1.5gig of ram on that sucker. We have 3 of them and they blow all our single server cpu's out of the water. Also get SCSI drives if you can and if you cant get those make sure they are 7200's.

7. Axe

Axe Member

I've just got a Dual Xeon 2Ghz box, 1Gig of ram, 2x73Gig Ultrawide SCSI drives (although the ram will be going up as demand increases on the box).

Our other box is just a measly Celeron 1.3Ghz, 1Gig ram, 2x60Gig EIDE@7200 drives. That runs fine on a single processor, but has
    tripped up occasionally.

I'd definitely go with dual processor if I had to buy over again. I just wish I'd gona with dual-pro in the first place instead of getting the Celeron :)

Like sexy_guy says though, go with SCSI HDs if you can.

8. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

With the lack of specific data provided I voted Dual 3's.

9. CodyFrisch

CodyFrisch Active Member

Well when it comes down to it, look at the motherboard. If the dual P3 uses a VIA chipset, and the P4 uses an Intel chipset? I'd have a hard time taking the dual-P3.

Those VIA P3 chipsets, in my expirience, are crap. Very slow, you may have two CPU's but you loose 1/4 of that power to the fact the memory controllers suck and can't processes transactions quickly. Maybe they transfer fast, but lots of requests bog them down.

Additionally boards with VIA chipsets TEND (not always) to be of a lower build quality than ones with Intel chipsets (which makes it all around cheaper.)

I'm not going to say one way or the other, but its the motherboard that matters, not the chips. If you have to stick your P3's in a crappy motherboard that is going to cause random lockups when crammed into a hot 1U chassis... Or a P4 that is going to run smooth for ages... The choice is yours.

If I had a choice i'd personally recommend you buy a SuperMicro SuperServer or such. ITs not some cobbled together from this and that, its all a well designed well matched server. Thats what you gain by buying a server from a server manufacturer, rather than a server somebody put together out of the cheapest stuff they could find on pricewatch.