The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duh? Nameserver IP assignment problem

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Cinquecento, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Cinquecento

Cinquecento Member

Hi,

I've just bought my dedicated server with WHM & Cpanel!

Hurrah!

Now I've scared myself to death - it looks so much more complex than my old servers GUI! I've got some learning to do.

Boo!

Anyway - setting up the initial nameserver in server setup....

I put in ns1.myserver.net and click assign IP - it eventually assigns my PRIMARY IP. I think to myself 'shouldn't that be the second IP I was given????'

In the secondary namserver I type ns2.myserver.net - I click assign IP and it tells me that I'm all out out of IP's to assign!

I've been given 3 IP's to use and understand that the FIRST is the server IP and the next two are for the primary nameservers.

What have I done wrong here? I've set up the nameserver host records as pointing to my second and third IPs, but am still waiting for them to propagate.

Cheers

Ian

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

WHM - IP Functions - Add a New IP Address

Use this feature to add your assigned IP addresses so that cPanel will recognize them.

If you don't like the way that WHM assigned your nameserver IP's, you can manually edit the file /etc/nameserverips

example:

111.111.111.111=ns1.yourdomain.com
    111.111.111.112=ns2.yourdomain.com

3. Cinquecento

Cinquecento Member

Aagh... relief!

Thanks Bama - that did the trick!

It all seems so obvious... is there an idiots guide around here that I missed???

Ian ;-)