The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb "Modify an Account" question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JSBurlison, Nov 23, 2010.

1. JSBurlison

JSBurlison Well-Known Member

Lets see if I can give the situation with out too much fluff....not likely.

I have a resellers server but I do not resell and I am a total novice.

On one of the accounts I have the main domain plus two add on domains.

We are going to create a brand new account with a temporary account name and temporary domain. In this temporary account we are gong to build a brand new site to replace the existing site that is a an add on domain in another account.

When we get the new site built and tested the plan is when we go live is to get rid of the add on domain and rename the new account as well as change to the domain name that used to be an add on domain.

Will there be any problems in doing it like this. What kind of issues might I face?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If I understand you correctly, yes, I think that would work.

[suggestion]
    Why bother with the added steps if you're planning on renaming the temp domain to the other? Why not skip that temp domain stuff all together for now and just create the new site in a directory? Once the site is ready to go, kill the addon. Then create the new account normally and move the new site into place on the former addon now it's own, domain and account.

Renaming/editing an account will work, but there is a lot that goes on there with renaming an account. If I could work around doing that (renaming an account) I would.
    [/suggestion]

HTH

3. JSBurlison

Maybe I am missing something.

The site I am replacing lets say is abc123forums.com and it is going to be fully replaced with a new site on different software.

It is an addon domain currently. The account it is in will eventually go away, there are three seperates sites in it and it gets confusing in there. the tip site is no longer used but the two add ons under it are used.

The brand new site is going to take some time to build and work on.

lets say abc123forums.com is an add on domain of sockpuppet.com

In the end we will want a brand new account called abc123forums.com containing the new forum.

My fear was if we create a brand new account abc123forums it would confuse things in whm since abc123forums is an add on to sockpuppet.com?

Maybe I am thinking all wrong.

4. JSBurlison

Oh...I think I know what you are saying.

We build the site next to the old one. When the new site is fully tested we just move it over to the new account?

Why we where thinking of doing it the hard way things are so confused in the old account we don't always know what belongs to who. This was to build slowly and find and reproduce the files we need.

Maybe we are trying to do it too hard of a way.

5. JSBurlison

Just curios,

what all does on in renaming an account?

Our fear was when we move things we would not get everything we need by mistake.

6. JSBurlison

I wonder?

abc123forums.com is an addon domain of suckpuppet.com

what happens if we create a brand new account named abc123forums.com but use the domain name 123abctest.com in the new account.

Will it confuse things online and people not be able to get to abc123?