The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate e-mail situation

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by noimad1, Dec 17, 2004.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

I have a customer that has been using the "leave mail on server for 7 days" feature of outlook for about 2 years now with no problems. We recently moved his account to a new server and now all of a sudden he gets duplicate e-mails!

I assume this has to be a configuration issue as it worked on the old server and not with the new. Does anyone know how to fix this one?

2. Bruce

Bruce Well-Known Member

We have one client out of hundreds of email accounts that always get multiple emails and he doesnt even have that (Leave on server option) checked at all.
    Cannot figure out what is doing it.

3. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Make sure the users old information is off the old server complately including the the domain in /etc/localdomains and under /etc/valiases/domain.com. As for the duplicates it could be that Outlook is not deleting the old messages that were read or it is not tagging the messages on the new server. You may have to recreate the mail accounts to get the inbox options cleared for the new server.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do remember that ""leave mail on server for 7 days" feature of outlook" is just that, a feature of PC email clients and has nothing at all to do with the POP3 protocol which does not support such activity and doesn't keep track of such things. If there's a problem with it, it's almost certainly a problem at the client. POP3 is not designed for storing email, it's meant only as a temporary holding place until the mail is retrieved by the client. If you want to leave email on a server, you should be using IMAP instead.

5. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

I do realize that and figured the same. I thought it was weired that the problem only occured on once we moved the account to the new server. I will ahve him try his connections as IMAP connections....which might be more difficult than you would think with an office of over 50-60 (non-technical) employees with e-mail accounts...

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The most common cause for this that I've found is when the client has an unreliable connection to the server. If the retrieve borks during processing, POP3 will wind back and start delivering from the top again as it needs a successful session QUIT command before it will delete anything.

7. bijo

bijo Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Did you try the script /scripts/mailperm?

May be it will help you to solve this problem.