The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate Emails from CPPOP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by canfone, Jan 18, 2006.

1. canfone

canfone Active Member

Has anyone had experience with customers using their POP mail client receiving duplicate emails?

We have a VPS running cPanel/WHM whereby cppop (POP mail server) seems to fail once a day; and customers are on occassion receiving the same email multiple times.

2. tmc74

tmc74 Member

I have face similar problem with outlook. Every time outlook start receiving emails it starts from the begining of the incoming mails. and on mail downloads to outlook repeteadly.

Is there any solution there to anyone?

Thanks,

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The solution is to use IMAP

The much-abridged reason being that POP doesn't support the option to only download new messages and leave the rest floating around somewhere and such methods are only available via client-side additions that don't and can't always work. You've already encountered the "don't and can't always work" part, which seems to occur with Outlook (Express) with endearing frequency.

This has been covered before, and if you search the forums and particularly look out for Chipy's comments on the matter you'll find a well-worded and clear explanation of the whole affair.

4. canfone

canfone Active Member

Spam Assasin Issue

I believe I have found the root issue:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20051017/msg00001.html

Essentially, mail is received and Spam Assasin is called to do an evaluation on the likelyhood of the mail being spam; because that process is taking too long the remote server doesn't recevie the >OK response back from your mail server, so it thinks the message hasn't go through.

The latest release version of SpamAssasin seems to eat up memory and sometimes hang which is why the issue seems to have surfaced just over the last week or so.

Currently investigating a solution to this problem; please let me know if anyone finds something and I will do the same.

5. Buffcode18

Buffcode18 Registered

Duplicates from "email all users" function

I've been getting duplicate emails sent out from the "email all users" function in WHM for months, could that be related to the above issue? I'm really desperate to get this fixed....

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Unless you see duplicate emails within the actual mbox inbox file, then the cause is going to be with the email client. One major issue will be if you use POP3 and select to "leave a copy of the email on the server". That option is not part of the POP3 protocol and is something that you, as an admin, should always discourage. If there are problems with it, they are always at the client end, since it is the client that is keeping track of such things.

As webignition has said. If that is the issue, i.e. the user is insisting on leaving email on the server, then they should use IMAP as that protocol has been designed for that exact purpose.

If, however, you do genuinely find duplicate emails (i.e. at least 2 of the same email within the file) within the inbox file and has nothing at all to do with POP3 email retrieval, then that's a different problem altogether and involves exim and has nothing to do with cppop.

7. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Hi

I have exactly the same problem on one server since a few days. in the inbox file I see the mail only once. But in the exim_main file I see the following:

2006-01-21 16:33:54 1F0KkU-0004Me-S6 <= info@mydomain.com H=(server1.server.com) [194.150.248.10] P=esmtps X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256 S=1131 id=43D25467.8090305@mydomain.com
    2006-01-21 16:33:55 1F0KkU-0004Mi-Tx <= info@mydomain.com U=wyler P=local-bsmtp S=1469 id=43D25467.8090305@mydomain.com
    2006-01-21 16:33:55 1F0KkU-0004Mi-Tx => info <info@customer.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2006-01-21 16:33:55 1F0KkU-0004Mi-Tx Completed
    2006-01-21 16:33:55 1F0KkU-0004Me-S6 => info <info@customer.com> R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery
    2006-01-21 16:33:55 1F0KkU-0004Me-S6 Completed

I sent one mail from info@mydomain.com to info @customer.com. But this looks like 2 deliveries, right?

Michael

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, that's normal. It's the way emails are passed through the SpamAssassin filters with the way cPanel have implemented it. An email is processed normally first, but not delivered, it is then processed a second time through the SpamAssassin filters and finally delivered to the mailbox.

9. pcsousa

pcsousa Well-Known Member

Hi all.

After reading chirpy suggest, I made "Remove from server when deleted from ‘Deleted Items’" Outlook. Now the repeated emails stop. This issue was making me wired with dozens repeated emails per hour. Thank you.

10. ruraltowns

ruraltowns Member

Duplicate Emails

I get DUPES all the time!

I have noticed nobody has covered the subject of
    mail forwarding and domain email forwarding settings........

These can cause DUPES and do, as I am using forwarding, A LOT!

ONLY I am getting them, as admin, as the forwards only apply to
    admin accounts, not customers who normally have no access to
    most of these functions!

WHY this happens, I have no idea, but have just learned to
    "LIVE WITH IT" for a year now....lol

Bob

11. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you add a forwarder for an address that has a mailbox, messages will be both forwarded and delivered to the mailbox. This is perfectly normal and how things are supposed to work.

You can interpret forwarding as meaning: do whatever should normally be done and do whatever the forwarder says.

By the way, and to be perfectly frank, you have a bad habit of using caps to stress important words. This is analogous to shouting and most people don't appreciate it. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining or trying to get at you, just trying to give some friendly advice. If you mean to shout, then by all means continue but people will probably not appreciate it. Instead of using caps to draw importance to certain words, use bold and italics with consideration to their semantic HTML meanings.

12. wysiwygitltd

wysiwygitltd Registered

Server time outs on the client

I have had this problem and I have adjusted the server time out in the advanced section of the email account and it seems to have fixed the problem, the default time out is set to 1 minute.