The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate Usernames Causing Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PuReWebDev, Sep 5, 2005.

1. PuReWebDev

PuReWebDev Well-Known Member

Since a very recent upgrade (1-2 weeks now). New accounts that have the same first characters of another domain are not being created as they were, they are now failing as duplicate usernames.

Let me give you an example:

Before: mydomain.com would have username of mydoma
    I could add mydomain2.com and it would have made a username like xie8gj and added it to the system.

After cpanel upgrade: If I add mydomain2.com it tries to use mydoma and causes account creation to fail because of duplicate usernames.

If I were manually adding accounts on to the system it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just change a character in the name, but I use Autopilot for automated account creation. Now before you get into saying 3rd party blah blah blah, I haven't upgraded or changed the config in autopilot, this problem specifically exists in whm and has only shown up after the most recent upgrades.

If anyone knows of a fix, or method to randomize usernames, it would be awesome.

Thanks,
    PuReWebDev

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This might be caused by the new security cPanel has put in place on certain files (chmod 600). If Autopilot cannot read these files it assumes the name is free.

While it may be cPanel that "caused" this new scenario to start happening by tightening their security, it is still upto the other party to correct their code to match. Much like Fantastico has had to do by putting their Admin portion inside WHM now. WHMAP needs to look at what they are doing and change to meet the new security standards/restrictions with cPanel.

3. PuReWebDev

PuReWebDev Well-Known Member

Would you be so kind as to share what folders got chmoded in this most recent release?

Thank you,
    PuReWebDev

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm not sure of the entire list, but one of the more critical ones that I know WHMAP relies on it the httpd.conf file. I don't know of any "list" of exactly what was changed, but I know others in /etc /var/cpanel/users etc....