The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicated Emails - Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by keat63, May 10, 2016.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Over night, we generally recieve about 100 emails to our main pop3 mailbox, as well as a handful to a dozen other pop and imap mailboxes.

Every morning at 8am, people log in and start to download thier emails, I will also connect to webmail and check the server logs. I guess you could say that 8am is quite busy for half an hour.

The main pop3 mailbox will download emails, but then start to duplicate them. As if the mail server didn't recieve the instruction that the mail has been downloaded.

Could the load be causing this ?
    Load on the mail server or maybe load on the internet connection out of the office ?
    Can anyone suggest how I might set about trying to determine what could be causing this or impliment a solution.

2. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm wondering if this might related to our internal firewall doing virus checks on incoming mail.
    Thinking about it, I've only had reports of this happening in the last few days, and about a week ago, there was a firewall update which addressed an antivirus issue.
    Maybe this is causing a bottleneck/timeout.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Does the issue continue when temporarily disabling those virus checks?

Thank you.

4. ssfred

ssfred Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello

Firewalls and Anti-virus scanners can interfere with the mail clients communications with the mail server and may leave an improperly synchronized or outdated list of downloaded mails in the mail client. This will force the client to re download the mails once again. If the mail clients are configured with reduced mail check interval, there will be too many connections and the server firewall may block or create communication issues if it is configured with strict rules. As mentioned by cPanelMichael, do check the issue after disabling the firewall/Virus scanner.

You may also refer the following KB as well https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/2685726

5. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The firewall was configured to scan the fist 2048 bytes, i dropped this to 1024, and since then, i've had no reports of any errors.
    I'm assuming that while the firewall was scanning the email, there was no notification back to the server that a successful transaction had occured, resulting in a subsequent retry.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator