The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynamic username creation problem.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DannyDirect, May 24, 2011.

1. DannyDirect

DannyDirect Registered

Hello, I am Daniel Middleton from HostHallam.com

I'm posting this message because I see what could be a possible problem with the 8 character username system.
    I have not had a chance to test this yet, so I may be completely wrong. Okay...

Imagine Mr.Charles registered an account with my reseller hosting company with the domain name "helloworld.com" That's fine, their cPanel username would be "hellowor".

Now, imagine Mr.Harry registers an account with the domain name "hello-world.com".
    That's not fine, because username generation excludes the "-" character, leaving this new client with the username "hellowor". Problem...this new user has the same username as Mr.Charles.

Is this a real problem? Or is is dealt with by cPanel somehow?

Cheers, Daniel Middleton.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it is dealt with by cPanel in that it won't allow you to create a username for a second user that is a duplicate of the first user. Any time you try to create such a user, cPanel will warn that username is already taken during WHM account creation.

3. DannyDirect

DannyDirect Registered

Okay, so it simply stops the process. Does this mean /http://www.helloworld.com and /http://www.hello-world.com can not exist on the same system? The problem seems to be that the billing system (I am using Blesta) is not smart enough to query the username before trying to create such an account, therefore crashing the process with no explanation to the end user. Am I right?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not familiar with Blesta, in cPanel you can choose a different username though.