The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DynDNS type service in WHM?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by genesis, Jul 27, 2005.

1. genesis

genesis Registered

Greetings,

I've been a very long time user of WHM and cPanel but first time posting with a question. I've been using DynDNS.org service but now I'm looking into this feature for my personal use. I have access to WHM and cPanel on my dedicated (remote) RH7.2 Linux server.

What I want is to be able to access my home computer (Static IP) by typing in an address http://homecomputer.mydomain.com. But I also want to have access to wildcard, just like DynDNS's service. So for example if I want to access my home router, I'd type in http://homecomputer.mydomain.com:8080 and still be able to access it.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you very much for generous assistance.

genesis.

2. zach21uk

zach21uk Member

not sure if this'll work but i think it will

goto the DNS settings for your domain, and add an entry as follows:

homecomputer 88400 in A 0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the xxx's are, put in your ip.

this should create a subdomain on ur domain, so when u goto homecomputer.yourdomain.com it should take you to your static ip.........

3. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

i have personally had success in doing what you want

all i did was set up a subdomain bla.mydomain.com in whm

then go in to the EDIT DNS zone and change the a record ip address to your static IP

of course you would need a web server running on your home computer running on port 80 and make sure your ISP dont block port 80 like some do

4. genesis

genesis Registered

Thanks for the reply guys, although I found out like 10 minutes after posting this, I did exactly the same and all works nicely.