The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e-mail authentication problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ChemicalWH, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. ChemicalWH

    ChemicalWH Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    After a server reboot none of the accounts on the server have been able to receive mail with outlook or webmail. maillog gives the following errors:

    Feb 14 18:54:36 [server] authdaemond: Cwd object version 3.14 does not match $Cwd::VERSION 3.11.
    Feb 14 18:54:36 [server]pop3d: LOGIN FAILED, user=, ip=[ip]
    Feb 14 18:54:36 [server]pop3d: authentication error: Input/output error


    I've tried a lot of things mentioned in other topics,

    /scripts/restartsrv_exim
    /scripts/restartsrv_courier
    /scripts/courierup --force


    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Cwd
    /scripts/eximup --force
    /scripts/upcp --force



    Nothing really worked, problem is still there.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ruud Goedhart
     
  2. serverplanet

    serverplanet Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I'm seeing the same problem on my server since restarting exim.
     
  3. serverplanet

    serverplanet Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    ok webmail is working for me (horde) but nobody can connect with outlook or outlook express. It just keeps prompting for a password over and over. Anyone have any ideas?
     
  4. chirpy

    chirpy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2002
    Messages:
    13,475
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Go on, have a guess
     
  5. ret

    ret Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2004
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Hello,

    I'm having a similar issue with courier. But am not seeing the cwd errors.

    maillog is spitting out 'authentication error: Input/output' errors for for both imap & pop.

    I have force installed everything in the first post / reinstalled perl via layer1 with no progress.

    Freebsd 5.4
    courier-authlib-0.58_2 Meta-port for the courier authentication library
    courier-authlib-base-0.58_2 Courier authentication library base
    courier-imap-4.1.1,1 IMAP (and POP3) server that provides access to Maildir mail

    everything has been deinstalled, and had upcp --force install, that also did not help..

    Starting to look like a hardware issue..

    Thanks in advance,
     
    #5 ret, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  6. Xdred

    Xdred Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2005
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Has anyone been able to resolve this yet?
     
  7. oneguy

    oneguy Registered

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    *bump* any resolution?
     
  8. oneguy

    oneguy Registered

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    ok - for our servers, we narrowed down the problem to
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/courier-auth

    we compared it to the ones we have on our other working servers and found that the md5sum was different, even though file size was the same.

    so, we copied the file from a good server and replaced this one.

    problem solved. but question being, we ran /script/upcp --force on this problematic server and the faulty /usr/local/cpanel/bin/courier-auth was not replaced ... I wonder why?
     
  9. DeepM

    DeepM Registered

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    got same issue, but only on all vps servers :eek:
     
  10. StaticPhilly

    StaticPhilly Registered

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    hi, ok i had this problem along with another problem which i managed to fix,

    basicly the POP3 error is caused by two POP3 servers running on your box,
    CPanel uses its own POP3 server called CPPOP and some linux OS's have a POP3 server in xinetd.d so you have to disabled that.

    to do so heres a step-by-step using SSH as root

    Code:
    cd /etc/xinetd.d
    vi popa3d
    press 'i' to enter edit mode

    change the line:
    Code:
    disable = no
    to
    Code:
    disable = yes
    down press esc twice, then press ':' followed by wq then press enter


    now do the same with popa3ds
    vi popa3ds

    finerly login to your WHM and restart your POP3 service

    hope this helps,
    Philly
     
Loading...

Share This Page