The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mail delivery delay

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by alex.lucas, Aug 3, 2012.

1. alex.lucas

alex.lucas Member

WHM 11.32.3 (build 23)
    CENTOS 5.8 x86_64

One of the my domains is facing delays on delivery of some messages to inbox. I have monitored e-mail queue and I have noticed these messages take some time to appear on queue after delivery by e-mail client (20 minutes or more), but once the messages arrive on queue they are automatically processed.

After exim receives a message, does it go directly to queue?

2. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Mail delivery does not only depend on your server, but on the other party. Which service are you using to send emails to your server?

If emails in your server take to long in the queue, then it probably means there is a load problem in your server. Someone spamming and sending thousands of email perhaps? Or the server is just to under powered? Are they email with big attachments? They will take longer? Are they email lists, if one email address there fails, it also gets stucks.

There are many factors. It would be first nice to know which emails get stuck? All emails send to the server? How are you delivering this email the email client to the server?

We probably need allot more information to discover what is causing this. Is it normal? No. In the past it was, but today I hardly see an email taking 2 or 3 seconds to arrive from one place to another.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To actually provide a setting you can check, can you search exim.conf in root SSH for this option to see the load limit for it?

Code:
    grep queue_only_load /etc/exim.conf
    Next, check the load when the emails aren't delivering. If it is hitting this load level, then the email queue won't process emails until the load is down to that level.

Also, you mention this is one domain, so no other domains are having this issue? Does that domain have only your server for the MX entries? I'm wondering if they might be using a filtering device for emails prior to delivery.