Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

E-mail forwarding help needed - copying catchall-bound mail to a separate address?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by parakeet, Sep 18, 2006.

1. parakeet

parakeet Registered

I currently run my robertandrews.co.uk e-mail and website on a UK host, Transnexis, which uses Plesk. It's a personal account, I'm the sole user. I have been building out a redesign for the website on asmallorange at www.blogwales.com and hope to switch everything over to asmallorange when I'm ready. However, I may have encountered a snag with the prospect of migrating my e-mail service...

(1) Currently, my old account is set up in such a way that the main e-mail account is mail@robertandrews.co.uk and any e-mail sent to any username @robertandrews.co.uk will be forwarded to this, no matter what it is; it's a catch-all. Whilst I user mail@robertandrews.co.uk, I routinely give out specific variations like asmallorange@robertandrews.co.uk for tracing and spam monitoring etc. I understand I can achieve similar with asmallorange by setting up a "mail" account then using the "Default Address" section to ensure all unrouted mail (ie. blahblahblah@blogwales.com) is actually delivered to mail@blogwales.com. Can anyone confirm? My one concern here is that the randrews@blogwales.com account would then seem to be redundant; I'm never going to use it as a working email address but appear forced to keep it there, it will never get checked and will never get any mail unless correspondents guess the address form. I know setting up mail@blogwales.com as that default catchall would effectively make it the primary address but is there any way to make it the actual primary adress, over and above randrews@blogwales.com?

(2) My old e-mail account is also set up to take every message incoming to any username @robertandrews.co.uk and forward a copy to my Gmail account, iamrob@gmail.com, for backup (my machine was stolen last year and I'm sensitive to loss of data). The way asmallorange's cPanel seems to work is, the only ways to forward are....

• Forwarding from individual usernames (ie. weblog@blogwales.com can forward to anything you choose). Problem here is, I want messages sent to that anything@blogwales.com catchall to be forwarded - I want to sit back and let this happen, no matter what the username@blogwales.com used, and don't want to have to second-guess all the possible permutations@blogwales.com I might use in future or already have in circulation.
    • Domain-to-domain forwarding. Problem here is, if I set it up to forward anything received at mail@blogwales.com to the corresponding user on gmail, mail@gmail.com, well that won't be me at all.
    • I've been in online chat with aso's support, who suggested email filtering as a third option. Problem here is, whilst I can set up a filter that passes anything with a to header containing "blogwales.com" along to a destination of iamrob@gmail.com, it's actually a redirection to a destination and not a forward - the message never gets even delivered to its intended real address at blogwales.com, which defeats the purpose. The only other thing I can think of is not to divert the triggered mail to a destination but to run it through some script that does the job (?).

So how can I ensure that anything sent to anything@blogwales.com (1) goes to mail@blogwales.com and (2) gets copied to iamrob@gmail.com? Any ideas please? Want to switch my custom over but don't want to lose out in the communication stakes.

Newcomer-ish to cPanel here.

Thanks

2. kilroy

kilroy Active Member

Are you doing this on a Cpanel system? You say you are using Plesk.