The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mail Latency

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dan_c, Jul 23, 2005.

1. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

Hey guys I have been having a problem and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what might be going on.

1. E-mail may take hours or even days to be delivered to my mailbox. For example I might receive paypal receipts postmarked two days ago, and I have to go down in MS outlook just to find it when it is finally delivered. I also had to sign up on these boards under my non-company e-mail seeing that I was afraid of how long it would take to receive the activation e-mail.

2. I cannot send mail via outlook. It keeps saying "connecting to SMTP server". All the settings are correct but it just seems to almost time-out.

The following problems seem to be with EXIM if I had to guess. I have already updated to the latest Cpanel "RELEASE" level; 10.2 R83 i think, which updated the exim as well, however I am still having the issues. I have run the mail troubleshooter which has found no issues as well. I ran the e-mail test at dnsreport.com and it said the test e-mail was received fine. Therefore I assume that the e-mails are being lost somewhere in the server? I recently moved my accounts over from a reseller account to a dedicated server, and this is when I started having the problems. Is there something I did not set up right perhaps? (there is much more to configure in the root WHM then the reseller).

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You need to be looking in your exim mainlog (usually /var/log/exim_mainlog) and tracing an individual email based on its ID. This could give you an idea where the problem lies.

3. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

ok I found the file, downloaded it, opened it, only to realize i don't have a clue what this means :p . I was able however to pick out some of the e-mail addresses from which i had been having issues receiving mail. I enclosed the last page-worth of the log as an attachment (i didnt want to create an unsightly post). It has logs of some of the e-mails which I have yet to receive, which appear to be on the server because they are logged. (I also changed the domain names just out of client privacy.) . If anyone knows what this log is saying that would be AWESOME! :D

#3 dan_c, Jul 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  4. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

here is the same log saved with the formatting. this is alot easier to read because it is not one continuous line, but rather each transaction is on a seperate line:

Attached Files:

5. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

this is one of the e-mails i was waiting for:

2005-07-22 22:39:19 1DwAr9-0003ii-99 <= forums@domain2.com H=(mail.domain2.com) [38.118.213.5] P=esmtp S=2611 id=200507222318.b422fa471163@forums.domain2.com
    2005-07-22 22:39:20 1DwAr9-0003ii-99 => rootuser <rootuser@mydomain.com> R=localuser T=local_delivery
    2005-07-22 22:39:20 1DwAr9-0003ii-99 Completed

it was routed at about 10:40pm, however it did not appear in my mailbox until about 3am. so would it be safe to assume the problem lies after the exim server?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That would seem to suggest there's a problem with your local email client retrieving the email. Once exim has finished processing an email it will be in the accounts inbox file.

One thing to ensure is that you don't leave email on the server after retrieving it unless you're using IMAP retrieval instead of POP3.

The alternative suggestion could be to do with time zones - i.e. is your servers time in the same time zone as your PC's? That is, is it delivering immediately, but because of time differences it appears not to be?

7. dan_c

dan_c Active Member

Ok yes I think it was the time zones. The servers of as paypal and other large companies are located probably in silicon valley and therefore put a PDT timestamp on the mail, and when arrives on my server (EST) it appears to have been sent 3 hours ago. I tested this theory by turning back the clock on my computer by an hour, then sent a message to myself. Sure enough i received an e-mail which appeared to have been sent an hour ago. Seems simple enough. I guess i assumed the worse when it was just time differences. Thanks for the help chirpy. :)