Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

E-mail on a different server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by netvistun, Mar 16, 2005.

1. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

We're running WHM/Cpanel with 60-80 users.

One of your clients has their homepage hosted in our server but e-mail on another server. This does not seem to be a problem. The homepage works and everything and I can send him e-mail and he sends me e-mail, but when the machine sends mail it thinks the e-mail is on the server and sends it streight to the user without going out of the box and onto a dns that redirects it in the right place.

How can I make the machine stop sending the mail directly without putting it streight back.

When I trace the e-mail it only shows one spot, it doesn't route at all.

How can this be done?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kirkmiesle

kirkmiesle Member

I'd like to know this, too :)

3. jambalaia

jambalaia Registered

Hi,

We had the same experience here, but using external DNS servers (the DNS was not in CPANEL):

WHM -> DNS Functions -> Delete a DNS Zone -> "domain you have only the page"
    in /etc/localdomains remove the line with the domain
    in /etc/remotedomains insert one line with the domain

Using CPANEL DNS I believe you will have to remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and in WHM -> DNS Functions -> Edit and MX Entry you will need to point the domain to the correct server.

Maybe someone knows a better way, sorry for the bad english.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, just point the MX to an A record that you create pointing to the IP address of the external mail server (don't point the MX record directly to an IP address) - no need to delete the zone file for the domain at all. Then:

1. Remove the domain from /etc/localdomains

2. Add the domain to /etc/remotedomains (create the file if necessary)

That last step is essential otherwise cPanel will simply re-add it to /etc/localdomains

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

small explaination

Hi again

I should have included it in my question that we're using another DNS server, not Cpanel's. That one is set up correctly and I'm able to send e-mails to the right domain if I just send from my e-mail client, but not through, for instance, PHP's mail function.

thank for a quick reply

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You will still need to do the two steps I mentioned.

7. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

Doesn't seem to do the trick

Well, it doesn't seem to do the trick. The mails all get delivered locally.

Also if I trace the e-mail address, It is routed locally.

(and yes, I did restart exim :) )

8. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

Not working...

So I should give up?

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If moving the domain from localdomains to remotedomains does not work, then I would hazard a guess that although their DNS is hosted elsewhere, do you still have a zone file for the domain in WHM? If so, delete it from the local server, then try again.

10. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

You may be better off using local dns for this problematic domain , the switch should only take 10/40 minutes on a good dns host , then in whm >dns settings create the mx zone for the other mail server , if it is mail.somedomain.com , you may have to remove the c record in whm dns, because it will point to the server itself (ie mail.somedomain.com always points to current server ip by default ) then check that the off server, mail server has a A record (use dns report for instance) if any doubt create one in Whm >add dns > with the off server ip eg mail.somedomain.com ip 666666666

11. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

I would delete the zone

Hi again

I would delete the zone, but it has so many references. We're also running SSL on that server. I'm afraid if I delete it, It would stop functioning correctly.

Here're the zones, it doesn't look like it's something I can delete

[​IMG]

best regards
    Arnór Heiðar

12. netvistun

netvistun Active Member

One other thing

Named isn't running. Shouldn't that mean that the DNS zone has no effect?

13. hostseeker

hostseeker Well-Known Member

Chirpy can you go in to a little detail on how to do that with WHM? I went to the edit DNS zone section and didn't see how to do exactly what you were talking about.

14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Sure, you would login to WHM > DNS Functions > Edit a DNS zone > select the zone that has its MX records off-server > Edit >

Say the domain is called domain.com where 11.22.33.44 is their mail servers IP address, you would then add:

altmail.domain.com. 14400 A 11.22.33.44

Then change the MX record line to read:

domain.com. 14400 MX 0 altmail.domain.com.

Then save the zone. That will have to propagate to become fully effective (usually around 24 hours). You must also remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and add it to /etc/remotedomains (and create that files if it doesn't exist).

15. hostseeker

hostseeker Well-Known Member

Thanks Chirpy!

Since it was an exchange server I created an A record as follows:

exchange 14440 in A 11.22.33.44

Then I changed the MX to read:

domain.com 14400 in MX 0 exchange.domain.com.

You might be interested to know that it seems that the later Cpanel do not require you to remove the domain from etc/localdomains or add it to etc/remotedomains as when I went to do that it had already been done for me in both files! Using Cpanel 10.0.0 R-149

16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's great :)

Interesting about the localdomains/remotedomains.

17. adixon

adixon Registered

I have this exact same problem. Removing them from localdomains and into remotedomains works. However I a tickbox option would be great for this :(

As I dont use the name server at all on the cpanel server. And allot of clients will be hosting their mail on a more redundant mailnetwork. So I need a better more automated solution to automatically put them in remotedomains. Anyone know how this could be possible or will I have to wait for this to be feature-requested?

18. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

19. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Probably a stupid question for people who know DNS zone files well... but after you add the MX record and A record as described above, what happens to the CNAME entry, eg:

mail 14400 CNAME domain.com.au

Do you *need* to delete it, or assuming you've done the MX and A correctly perhaps it's redundant and it doesn't matter whether it's deleted or not?

Thanks.

20. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's redundant.