The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Mail Problems with forum script

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ToddW, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

We use CRITSEND.com with VBULLETIN and on June 5th 2013 it stopped working.

I wasn't notified until today, and started to investigate, and this is what I found when sending a diagnostic e-mail:

Code:
    The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.
    I turned on logging for email and the log file says:

Code:
    FAILED: 535 Authorization to the SMTP server failed

We haven't changed any settings, and it WAS working just fine. From my server I can connect via port 25 to CritSend just fine. I already checked my firewall, and brute force logs and their IP isn't blocked, and port TCP Port 25 is open for outgoing communications. As I said it worked fine, and then stopped.

CritSend says nothing changed on their end either, and I can send email fine through them via their "test" email web form via my account.

Any cPanel/WHM ideas that would be now affecting this starting June 5th ?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It sounds like an issue with the remote SMTP server, or with the authentication details you are using in your VBulletin configuration. Have you tried using their troubleshooting guide? It's located on their website at:

VBulletin - Troubleshoot Email

Thank you.

3. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

I agree, and that's why I wanted to see if I missed any other options with cPanel/WHM.
    Is there anything that could have changed from an update that would have affected this?

I did use the VB Email diagnostic tool to get the above error from the error log for email that I turned on... that's how I know what the error is.

The SMTP / E-Mail Provider says nothing has changed on their end, and refuses to assist in any type of troubleshooting.
    We haven't changed any protocols that were working just fine for authentication the day it stopped working.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What version of cPanel are you running?
    If your server has updated might you need to go over your Exim settings again? Not sure. You might try resetting Exim to defaults and then reapply your critsend configuration.
    /http://www.critsend.com/smtp-service-setup/#exim

No clue how helpful that might be.

5. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

Nothing is required of Exim config because I am using SMTP settings, and VB uses that via PHP to make the connection and send mail.

6. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't suppose "Restrict outgoing SMTP to root, exim, and mailman (FKA SMTP Tweak)" has got enabled in tweak settings? (or the csf equivalent SMTP_BLOCK)

Just a thought

7. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

Hi, nope. That isn't enabled.

I was able to figure out it has something to do with CSF because it works fine and then after a week or two it stops working. If I restart CSF it works again for a couple weeks then stops again.

I have the critsend IP allowed / white listed, the cPanel account "allowed" (for limits) and even when it stops working the IP is no where to be found in the logs or IPTABLES.

I Haven't figured out WHY it's blocking or HOW it's even doing it.

Also, on my new server (without CSF) it works fine, and then it stops working. If I restart or flush IPTables it works again.
    It's as-if the port is being blocked or some range after a threshold ???

-Todd

8. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

I`m thinking now it's something in cPanel/WHM that's rate limit controlled and prevents the entire cPANEL account from connecting to SMTP (other server) to send mail to prevent a script from sending spam. This is why I can't find it when I check IPTABLES for the IP or PORT but when I restart CSF or IPTABLES it works again.... What could this setting be / located ?

I added IPs of the outgoing (critsend) SMTP server to the EXIM CONFIGURATION "white list" but I`m not sure this is actually it as I didn't see the rate limits in there.

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should see information in /var/log/exim_mainlog if an email account is restricted by a ratelimit. You can utilize the "exigrep" command to search for entries from specific email accounts. EX:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Thank you.