The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mail routing. What am I missing?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by appcomm, May 28, 2004.

1. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

Ok..I know this is going to be something simple, but at the moment it is escaping me. Could use another view on why this isn't working!

[BACKGROUND INFO]
    We have serveral servers spread across a few different datacenters. Also, our name servers are stand alone boxes doing ONLY nameserving (in other words, none of our mail servers or web hosting servers are running name services locally.

[THE PROBLEM]
    For years, we've had EXAMPLE.COM running on a server in datacenter "A". Both web and mail services are running on the same box for this domain.

We want to split off the mail service to another server, located in datacenter "B", running the name of MAIL.EXAMPLE.COM.

We changed our name records and edited the MX record to point to the new server. That is operating correctly - pings to MAIL.EXAMPLE.COM report back the correct, new IP.

On the server that is to be accepting mail for EXAMPLE.COM (a cpanel box), we created the domain using WHM of MAIL.EXAMPLE .COM and added the user accounts.

Ok...thinking all should be well, I send a test message to one of the accounts, expecting it to show up at the new server. However, I get a bounce message instead like this:

========================================
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

someguy@example.com
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<someguy@example.com>:
    host mail.example.com [69.100.195.74]: 550-bittern.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.119] is currently not permitted
    550-to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
    550-server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on
    550 in your email client.
    ========================================

So, why is it treating the receipt of a message for someguy@example.com as a relay attempt when it arrives at mail.example.com?

I'm guessing I have to authorize receipt of mail somehow? Thanks for any advice!

2. EMS

EMS BANNED

Just had a customer recently change their mx record in cpanel and complain of the same error.

Ive checked the dns and the mx record is correct yet any mail sent to the domain gets bounced with the following error...

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<jonathan@domain.co.uk>:
    host domain.co.uk [ip.ip.ip.ip]: 550-server.domain.com [ip.ip.ip.ip] is currently not permitted
    550-to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
    550-server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on
    550 in your email client.

The server is asking for SMTP authentication ignoring the fact that the mx record points to another host.

My only thought is that in this case the mx record points directly to another hostname rather than using the method of pointing it to mail.domain.com and setting a record for "mail" to the hostname you want to use for mail. This is the way I would do it if editing the zone file manually.

I'm sure if I change the zone file accordingly, this will work - however, the customer simply changed their mx record in cpanel so you'd expect this to work right ?

Any ideas ?

#2 EMS, Jun 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Check the /etc/localdomains and /etc/userdomains.............and check if ur domain is listed there or not...it must be listed there to reslove it