The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mail Transfer

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nasirnjs, Jan 25, 2015.

1. nasirnjs

nasirnjs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am cPANEL user, I transferred my site one hosting server to another. I transferred website and database manually. because I have no root access. How can I transfer my ALL E-MAIL from old server to new Server.

Please help me ..

2. SS-Maddy

SS-Maddy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello
    The ideal way to transfer the emails is through cpanel backup, especially if both servers are using cPanel. If you wish to copy the mails manually, follow the below steps

1. Create the email accounts in the destination server through your cPanel interface
    2. once the accounts are created, you should be able to locate the mail storage location from the file /home/user/etc/domain/passwd . By default it will be /home/user/mail/domain.com/id . For example. support@somain.com will have mail storage location as /home/user/mail/domain.com/support
    3. Compress the /home/user/mail folder in the source server and then copy it to the destination server through scp or ftp
    4. Extract the file and copy the folders to the corresponding mail accounts
    5. Correct the permissions and ownerships.

This should work in majority of cases ;)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The steps referenced in the previous post should work. Note that after you transfer the files, you can ask your hosting provider to run the "/scripts/mailperm $username" command to help repair permissions. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.