Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

E-mails Bouncing Back To Sender

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by dkz, Mar 9, 2006.

1. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have someone trying to send me a e-mail and the e-mail keeps being bounced back to them with an error message. I checked the exim log and found the following error (I changed the username and domain name but kept everything intact including periods and <>).
    Code:
    2006-03-09 12:07:03 1FHQTX-0003mo-L0 H=(mail11.opentransfer.com) [72.41.4.3] F=<userid@domainname.com> rejected after DATA: syntax error in 'From:' header when scanning for sender: malformed address: <userid@domainname. may not follow philbertolo@worldinnovationsus.com  in "userid@domainname.com <philbertolo@worldinnovationsus.com>"

It looks like the problem is with the sender but I wanted a second or more opinion.

Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's failing because it's using an invalid format (i.e. breaks RFC rules) on the From: header record.

The sender is using:

me@mydomain <me@mydomain.com>

which is not a valid email addressing format. However, this is:

"me@mydomain" <me@mydomain.com>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...