The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-mails with attachments not downloading

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by n000b, Dec 6, 2009.

1. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

The other day I had a customer contact me saying that for a few days, they couldn't download any e-mails via Outlook - they had a backlog of e-mails there (24ish), and Outlook was apparently only downloading a few hundred bytes and then stopping.

I investigated it but I couldn't find anything strange so I put it down to their computer/internet connection. They could still access their e-mails fine through Webmail so I just told them to do that for now.

Today I had another customer say that they were having exactly the same problem with all e-mails that have attachments. I confirmed that the first e-mail that the first user was trying to download also had an attachment.

The second user tried it in two different versions of Outlook and the problem happened in both, but I can't re-create the problem with their e-mail accounts in Thunderbird on my computer. I checked the server log files but I couldn't find anything interesting.

Has anyone come across this before? What could be causing this to happen? I'm not sure if it is happening to other users, but I assume that it would be.

I have not made any changes to the mail configuration/software for a while, except a few days ago I ran the WHM mailbox permissions script to fix another problem. The second user said that they have been having this problem for a few weeks though, which would be before I ran the permissions script. I am using Exim and Courier.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I have only seen this type of problem stem from configuration issues on the same computer as the mail client software (e.g., Outlook).

To diagnose further I would propose the following questions:
    1.) What are the file types or file extensions of the attachments (and are any of them blocked in the Outlook configuration)?
    2.) How large are the e-mails with attachments?
    3.) Is there any security-or-firewall-related software running on the same computer as Outlook (and if there is, does temporarily disabling it help)?
    4.) Has the user tried IMAP in Outlook instead of POP3 (or vice versa)?
    5.) Has the user tried a different mail client, other than Outlook?

I would suggest increasing the server connection time-out settings defined in Outlook; this may help in the case Outlook is not able to download certain e-mails in the default time frame allowed.

I would also recommend auditing the configuration and settings of both Outlook and any security-related software running on the same computer as Outlook; there may be security software acting as a middle-man (proxy) and preventing access to certain e-mails.

3. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

Thanks Don. I submitted a ticket to cPanel support on this and they are currently running me through a few things. If we work out what is wrong, I will post it here! :)

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the update. For internal reference, may I know the ticket ID number? (Ticket ID may be sent via PM or here in the thread.)

5. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

535961 :)

#5 n000b, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010