E-Transfer notices not always showing up in the inbox

ibma

Jul 23, 2019
Leamington Ontario
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
One of my clients is a charity organization and they rely mainly on e-transfers for funding. Of course, it's important that they receive these E-Transfer notices in their email INBOX so that they can identify the donor for tax-return purposes.

The problem is that not all e-transfer notices show up in their INBOX.

Things I've Tried:

- Whitelisting the sources in WHM Greylisting>Trusted Hosts
- Disabling greylisting for their account in cPanel "Configure Greylisting"
- Added the from address for these emails to cPanel Spam Filters>Edit Spam Whitelist Settings

The issue is still not resolved. Some E-Transfer Notices are just not showing up in the INBOX

I'm out of ideas and need help.

PS. maybe this is a hint, at one point last week, all the missing emails suddenly filled the INBOX without me having done anything. I personally turned to the Greylisting mechanism at that point. But after having disabled it for my client and trying to whitelist the from address for these notices, we're once again noticing that some aren't coming through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
For the messages that are not getting through what is noted in the exim logs for them? You can find the exim logs at /var/log/exim_mainlog

ibma

Jul 23, 2019
Leamington Ontario
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Code:
[email protected] T="INTERAC e-Transfer: A money transfer from DONAR_NAME has been\n automatically deposited." for [email protected]

2019-07-21 09:59:32 1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w => info+online banking canhelps ("info+Online Banking CanHelps"@domain-1.com, "info+Online Banking CanHelps"@domain-1.com) <[email protected]> R=virtual_user T=dovecot_virtual_delivery C="250 2.0.0 <\"info+Online$
I'm not sure if this will help, but I hope it provides some sort of insight. The above are two examples of the types of logs I found related to the types of emails that often don't show up in my client's inbox (DOMAIN-1.com, in this example). From what I can tell these logs are simply stating that these emails got delivered.

I was not able to find an instance where it suggests that an email was rejected or failed to be delivered in any way. Which I find strange because my client reports that they see e-transfers showing up in their bank account where they never got the corresponding email notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ibma

Jul 23, 2019
Leamington Ontario
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For the messages that are not getting through what is noted in the exim logs for them? You can find the exim logs at /var/log/exim_mainlog
Code:
[email protected] T="INTERAC e-Transfer: some text here deposited." for [email protected]

2019-07-21 09:59:32 1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w => some tet here ("info+some text heres"@domain-1.com, "info+some text heres"@domain-1.com) <[email protected]> R=virtual_user T=dovecot_virtual_delivery C="250 2.0.0 <\"info+Online$
I'm not sure if this will help, but I hope it provides some sort of insight. The above are two examples of the types of logs I found related to the types of emails that often don't show up in my client's inbox (DOMAIN-1.com, in this example). From what I can tell these logs are simply stating that these emails got delivered.

I was not able to find an instance where it suggests that an email was rejected or failed to be delivered in any way. Which I find strange because my client reports that they see e-transfers showing up in their bank account where they never got the corresponding email notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You're correct, these do definitely say that the email was delivered. I'm curious, did you get the full transaction with the message ID and leave it off or did you only grab that line?

If you only found that line it might be more helpful to run something like this:

Code:
exigrep 1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w /var/log/exim_mainlog
replace "1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w" as needed with the message ID you're looking for.

ibma

Jul 23, 2019
Leamington Ontario
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You're correct, these do definitely say that the email was delivered. I'm curious, did you get the full transaction with the message ID and leave it off or did you only grab that line?

If you only found that line it might be more helpful to run something like this:

Code:
exigrep 1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w /var/log/exim_mainlog
replace "1hpCN9-007Ydh-2w" as needed with the message ID you're looking for.
Ok so I used the following command to get all email instances related to domain-1.com and as you can expect it gave me a decent list to sort through. I copied the results to a text editor called Sublime Text and then I used the editor to search for any e-transfer instances.

Code:
exigrep domain-1.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
It turns out that there were no e-transfer instances at all this time around. Having said that I can only go back as far as 2019-08-11 around 3 am. So maybe I'll have to try this next week Mondy again. The client gets these e-transfers mostly during weekends. Perhaps they all came in before Sunday at 3 AM? I guess I'll find out next week.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @ibma

That would work, you might also look to see if there are archived exim logs there. They would be stored in a format similar to exim_mainlog-20190728.gz (that's a log that was archived on July 28th of 2019)

To look through these without exctracting them you could use:

Code:
zgrep <messageid> /var/log/exim_mainlog-date.gz