[EA-9845 ] - WHM turned off PHP-FPM overnight for all domains, brought them ALL down, "File is writeable by group"

Operating System & Version
CentOS 7
cPanel & WHM Version

MikeDVB

PartnerNOC
Jun 4, 2008
Indiana, USA
The additional funding has certainly gone to ROI and profit for the VC that purchased cPanel.

cPanel QA has always left a lot to be desired. This is a fairly large oversight.

cPJustinD

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2021
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello everybody! We've filed an internal case on the error, EA-9845, for further review by our development team. There was an issue within one of the packages that were updated with our latest update to EasyApache. We've recently removed some affected packages from mirrors while the issue is being further reviewed to fix the RPM. We've also published an article that covers the case in more detail here:

PHP-FPM is disabled for all domains after EA update to ea-apache24-config-1.0-171 on June 9th, 2021

You can also follow the article for further updates, including when a fix has officially been applied.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not even sure that I had PHP_FPM installed, so it didn't affect me.
However, I just got this from my server data centre.

PHP-FPM is Disabled after EasyApache Update
Why was PHP-FPM disabled for all my domains?

As of June 9th 2021, an EasyApache update to ea-apache24-config-1.0-171 has inadvertently disabled PHP-FPM on cPanel/WHM servers. The following components of WHM have been identified to have been affected.

ea-apache24-config-runtime-1.0-171.172.2.cpanel.noarch
ea-apache24-config-1.0-171.172.2.cpanel.noarch

This has also caused custom PHP-FPM configurations to be removed.

When will this be resolved?

As of yet, no automatic fix has been pushed out by cPanel. However UKFast have successfully tested an interim fix that restores functionality to websites on affected cPanel servers.

How to re-enable PHP-FPM for a single domain

• Navigate to MultiPHP Manager..
  • In the bottom section, use the tab User Domain Settings, use the search bar to search for your domain.
  • To the far right of your domain, click the toggle icon to enable PHP-FPM.
How to re-enable PHP-FPM for all domains

• Navigate to MultiPHP Manager.
  • In the bottom section, within PHP-FPM select the button Enable On All Domains
How to re-enable PHP-FPM & restore custom configurations

This section requires you to connect to your server over SSH. Please see our guide on connecting to your server via SSH for further assistance.

To reinstate all domains that were previously using PHP-FPM along with any custom configuration, please see the following steps;

• Connect to your server via SSH as the root user
  • Create a file named fix.pl with your preferred text editor (vi, vim or nano, for example) and populate it with the following contents:

#!/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Cpanel::JSON;
use Data::Dumper;
use File::Slurp;
use YAML::Syck;
my $file = "@ARGV";
my $json = File::Slurp::slurp ($file);
my $hr = Cpanel::JSON::Load ($json);
my $yaml = YAML::Syck::Dump ($hr);
print $yaml . "\n";

• Make sure the file is executable by running:

chmod +x fix.pl

• Run the following loop:

find /var/cpanel/userdata -type f -iname '*fpm.cache' | while read file; do ./fix.pl ${file} > $(echo ${file} | sed 's/cache/yaml/'); done

• Finally, rebuild all of the PHP-FPM configurations:

for i in $(cat /etc/userdomains | awk '{print $2}'); do echo "$i"; /scripts/php_fpm_config --rebuild $i; done

JoeHabit

Registered
Oct 31, 2017
Hungary
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I think the correct version numbers in the article should be these:
ea-apache24-config-runtime-1.0-171.172.13.cpanel.noarch
ea-apache24-config-1.0-171.172.13.cpanel.noarch

Also, it would be interesting to know whether the mentioned fix is from UKFast or CP, they looks very similar. If it's from UKFast, then CP should at least credit them in the article.

customtacos

Aug 19, 2005
Boy, between this and the recent AutoSSL error, I sure am tired of cPanel updates screwing up my servers. I sure am glad we pay increased licensing fees for such terrible QA.

cPJustinD

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2021
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
kefah This case has been resolved, and updates have been applied to correct these changes. You should no longer be experiencing issues. If you are still experiencing issues, please open a support ticket so that our analysts can take a closer look. You can open a support ticket using the "Submit a ticket" link in my signature.

Thanks!