The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA3 - Question about old Apache 1.3 config

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by mtindor, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've just upgraded to WHM 11.11.0 cPanel 11.15.0-R17659 and thus now have EasyApache3.

My setup currently is Apache 1.3, PHP 4.4.7, MySQL 5.x. My Apache was last compiled prior to EA3, using the old 'Apache Update' system in WHM.

Is there any way to tell EA3 to use the _exact_ compile options that I had saved from before in the previous Apache Update?

I did this:
    - selected Apache Update
    - selected Previously Saved Config
    - then clicked Continue Configuration

It says my profile has chosen Apache 2 to build, although it shows my current Apache version as 1.3.

- selected Apache 1.3
    - clicked Next Step

PHP 5 is selected by default, although I'm currently running PHP 4.4.7

- selected PHP 4
    - clicked Next Step
    - selected 4.4.7
    - clicked Next Step

Now it lists some of the options (but not all). And options that I _know_ had had compiled in my last Apache 1.3 compile (using the old Apache Update) are not checkmarked... such as suPHP (which previously was phpsuexec and suphp module).

Ok, here is where I just said screw it and stopped.

Obviously I can go into Advanced Configuration, but then there really is no way (but to play a guessing game) to configure EA3 to compile the EXACT same options as the previous version of Apache Update used to compile.

Why in the world can't EA3 actually USE the old 'previous config' stored from pre-EA3 and then have all the appropriate options checked or unchecked?

It's bad enough that one has to think about upgrading a server's MySQL to 5.x, PHP to 5.x, and Apache to 2.x, but it's even worse when one has a completed Stage 2 install and can't effectively compile the same old Apache/MySQL/PHP that they previously had done by simply using existing saved options.

So this is sort of a question/comment/gripe post. It doesn't appear to me that there is anything easy at all about using EA3, except for maybe if you are installing Cpanel and then installing PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2.2 before you get your first hosting account on the server.

I find EA3 completely cumbersome and confusing. And really, I'm not an idiot. But I expect things to make sense, and I personally am not seeing anything about EA3 making life easier for admins who are used to the old Apache Update system.

I'd much rather stick with the old Apache Update, install my own Mod Security (or do it via the plugins), install my own Tomcat via the Plugins, etc, etc. The idea that EA3 has made things easier is just something I'm not feeling.

Any suggestions? Wisdom? Assist? I am a very paranoid and anal admin. I absolutely do NOT want my customers to be without service for one second longer than they need to. I know a lot of people have servers that are down for hours or days and they just shrug it off - not me. The machine must be functioning so that customer content is served because that is what the customer expects. So I am always extra cautious about doing anything - spending months determining whether I should upgrade MySQL, PHP, Apache - reading up on the pros and cons, pitfalls, etc. of doing so. And I think for guys like me, this step 'up' into the world of EA3 is just a nightmare.

All I want to be able to do is have a server with the latest Release version of Cpanel AND still be able to compile my Apache exactly the way it was compiled in the old Apache Update system.

Mike

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just a followup on my original post.

CPDan took care of the problem I was having with EA3 not pulling the previous EA2 config. The fix for that can be found in the link below. It'll probably be a nonissue in the near future. Thanks Dan!

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?p=335541#post335541

And, as for my gripes about EA3, after spending a little time using EA3 on a Cpanel VPS that I had access to, I'm less hesitant about using it now. I guess I'm just one of those guys who is resistant to change. In the end though, it was very easy to build Apache using EA3, even from scratch without having it pull my previous EasyApache config.

Mike