Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

EA4 2018-01-29 update?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by sparek-3, Jan 29, 2018.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Was their an EA4 update today (2018-01-29)?

The changelog has not been updated, but maybe I'm just being impatient.

On a somewhat related note, have the EA4 production and EA4 development (master) lists from github stopped working?

2. JacobPerkins

JacobPerkins Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hi,
    We did a package update yesterday with ea-nghttp2, where it was missing commits. This wasn't a scheduled release. Also, the email lists should still be working, as I'm getting updates. We are also still syncing to github, so you might want to make sure that you're subscribed.

3. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Jacob, can you point me to the correct list for EasyApache 4 notifications of releases and where to go to subscribe on Github. I'm on a list but the last email I got was for "EasyApache 2018-01-25 Security Release".

I really just want the best place to be emailed changelog at or before release for both cPanel and EasyApache and the cPanel mailing lists I'm already subscribed to don't seem to be very good at that. I used to receive better notifications when it was EasyApache 3.

Joining mailing lists when detailed timely changelogs should really be built-in to the WHM interface unless I'm missing it somewhere.

I just especially want to know ahead of time when EasyApache is going to do it's thing and dump all my Opcaches.

cPJacob likes this.
  4. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, there's no mention of the EA4 release at the EA4 changelog:

EasyApache 4 Change Log 2018 - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

The last update is showing 2018-01-26

The mailing lists I am referring to are:

EA4Production-Announce Info Page

EA4Development-Announce Info Page

The last email I got from the EA4 Production List is dated 2017-12-21.

The last email I got from the EA4 Development List is dated 2017-12-29.

Now I suppose it's very possible that I am missing emails with this list. This is one reason why I don't like mailing lists. I also haven't gotten the update from the CentOS list about the new CentOS 6 kernel - but that's nothing new, their list can take weeks to dump out mail.

I do note that I am getting digest messages on each of these EA4 lists. Perhaps the digest messages aren't being sent out?

Is there an RSS feed of these Production and Development announcements? That's always been a better alternative to me than Mailing List Announcements. I check various RSS feeds daily.

5. JacobPerkins

JacobPerkins Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Howdy,

Apologies, we did not post a changelog update on that. We're getting that done now. The only change was this below:
    • ea-nghttp2
      • 1.20.0-5 EA-6555: add conflict for libnghttp2 since it provides the same stuff
      • 1.20.0-4 - EA-6638: bump release prefix to make the EA4 one newer than the typo'd-release-prefix in EA4-experimental

As far as the release announcements, we usually do changelogs an forum posts for this. That's being done now for yesterdays small update.

You have the mailing lists correct, however I'm getting updates to those lists:

upload_2018-1-30_10-49-40.png

Are you not getting these emails? Unfortunately we don't have an RSS feed for these releases. I'll look into seeing if we can add something like that.

6. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you getting digest messages (once per day messages)? You don't appear to be.

Perhaps the digest messages aren't going out. I'm not sure how many other people are signed up to this list and who is signed up for the digest messages. It'd be nice if someone else that's signed up for this list and on digest messages could chime in and say whether or not they are getting the messages.

Like I said, I'm just not a huge fan of mailing lists - either for announcements or discussion - because there's just way too many issues to have to sort through. The list has to send out to potentially thousands of email addresses, where an RSS feed just has to be published once (and people that want to view have to go to it and read it) and forums posts just have to be published once (and people that want to view it have to go to the forum to read it). But I guess once a child of the 90s, always a child of the 90s.

7. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My EA4 Production was set to Digest so I turned that off. I guess I'd rather see dozens of emails rather than none.

My advice. Always update website changelogs before an update is pushed rather than after. It doesn't hurt to see a new update shown for a short period before it's available but it's sure annoying when an update is applied and one doesn't have any idea what it touched or potentially broke.

sparek-3, yes I also haven't received the latest Centos 6 kernel and other updates but got a bunch of 7 release notification but yeah they're sloppy. Seems none of these technology companies are all that good at releasing timely update notifications. It's annoying.

8. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @kdean - I don't necessarily blame the companies. It's just that mailing lists don't work in this day an age. Everyone is filtering for spam now and mailing list messages tend to get caught up in a lot of spam filtering systems causing huge amounts of delays. If you are going to do general announcing (where 1 person intends to announce something to everyone - the subset of everyone that cares to take note) then an RSS feed is a general replacement. If you are going to have a discussion list, a forum is a better alternative (can you imagine this forum being a discussion list?).

The one area where mailing lists really still have value is targetting announcements, when you are sending out a slightly different message to different email addresses. You typically can't do this with a vanilla mailing list application (like Mailman).

The exim list (which is a discussion list, which are even worse than announcement lists because anyone subscribing to that list can send a message to the list) is even worse. Today is January 29th, I could very easily receive a message on that list today that was sent on January 10th. Luckily I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the exim list (I could probably unsubscribe and wouldn't notice it).

The EA4 lists (they both seemed to push out updates at about the same time, not really sure what the difference is, a development is almost always pushed immediately to production) at least generally gave me an idea that an update was coming.