The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA4 migration and potential ruby/rails/passenger issues

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by tomdchi, Mar 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tomdchi

tomdchi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am really wanting to pull the trigger on migrating one of our servers to EA4 but would like to be prepared for potential issues. Ruby, Rails 4, and Phusion Passenger were manually installed on this server so we could use Redmine.
    I am betting that I will need to reinstall the apache module for passenger but will migrating mess anything up with ruby or rails?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know what method you used to complete the installation on EasyApache 3? Note that you may want to consider purchasing CloudLinux, as it offers Mod Passenger support for EA4:

alt-mod-passenger for EasyApache 4 updated

Thank you.

3. tomdchi

tomdchi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

I ended up just doing it the normal way, i.e.

/scripts/migrate_ea3_to_ea4 --run

Everything worked OK and migrating did not mess up anything with Phusion Passenger or Ruby. I might add that I use RVM (Ruby Version Manager) to install and update Ruby. Not sure if that matters or not.

I did have some custom user Apache includes that needed to be manually moved to new location. The migration does not do this automatically. I knew this before migration but what I did not know is where to put them after migration. I could not find anything in the docs that said where the new location should be. I might be somewhere and I just missed it. Anyway, i finally figured it out and user account includes should go in:

/etc/apache2/conf.d/userdata/std/2_4/<user account>/user conf.conf
    /etc/apache2/conf.d/userdata/ssl/2_4/<user account>/user conf.conf

The migration will also not move over any Apache includes (Pre main, Pre virtualhost, and Post virtualhost). These need to be set again after migration.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This path is referenced on the "Advanced Apache Configuration" document for EA4. You may find additional information on this document helpful:

Advanced Apache Configuration - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.