The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

easiest way for customer to view DB

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by JoeyG, Dec 9, 2010.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Registered

May 29, 2008
    I'm looking for the easiest way for a remote client to view a database

I've set up a new MySQL user with limited privileges and ideally I'd like them to be able to log into the phpMyAdmin interface on the server, but it looks as though this isn't possible with anything except actual account logins.

So it looks like my options are: give them the mySQL details and let them sort their own login, then when it fails take their hostname and add it to the list of allowed remote hosts and ask them to try again.

Create an entirely new phpMyAdmin on the site which goes straight to the database as the mySQL user I have created for them.

Any quicker solutions?
  2. cPanelDavidN

cPanelDavidN Integration Developer
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Joey,

Your statements are complete correct:
    1) for remote login via `mysql` or other remote client, you'd need to add their IP as an access host
    2) cPanel's phpMyAdmin interface is only available to an authenticated cPanel account
    3) You could deploy your own phpMyAdmin and serve it from within your web space. -- My guess on this method is that it won't be as easy as unpacking the source. ie, you may need to play around with the config a bit. Additionally, if I decided to do this, I'd probably make it such that no one could access the application directly. That is, just like cPanel won't serve the docroot for phpMyAdmin unless your authenticated into cPanel, I'd enforce my own authentication before-hand...but that's just me. And like you mentioned, this is the long route.

Best Regards,