Easiest way to add PHP version with EA4

Eoler

Mar 1, 2016
Kastav, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What is the quickest and easiest way to add PHP7.1 support for a couple domains to EA4 profile with Prefork MPM + Mod_RUID2 + Mod_DSO PHP7.0 ?

Are multiple MPMs supported with a single multiPHP installation?

Eoler

Mar 1, 2016
Kastav, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It should be extremely simple to go to WHM>>Software>>EasyApache 4 and customize your profile to include PHP 7.1 as well as add any extensions.
I tried to fully duplicate PHP 7.0 -> 7.1 configuration, but it looks like two different DSO's won't work together - review gives:

Code:
Update Error:
Error: ea-php70-php conflicts with ea-php71-php-7.1.26-2.2.6.cpanel.x86_64
Error: ea-php71-php conflicts with ea-php70-php-7.0.33-2.2.6.cpanel.x86_64

Eoler

Mar 1, 2016
Kastav, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I tried to fully duplicate PHP 7.0 -> 7.1 configuration, but it looks like two different DSO's won't work together
Nope, only one PHP handler is allowed to be set as DSO. Can anyone advise what is next best handler that is compatible with Prefork MPM and has ability to execute PHP 7.1 in context of a cPanel user?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Nope, only one PHP handler is allowed to be set as DSO. Can anyone advise what is next best handler that is compatible with Prefork MPM and has ability to execute PHP 7.1 in context of a cPanel user?
I see I believe I misunderstood the initial question. You can only set one PHP version on the system to use DSO, that is correct. Since you're running mod_ruid2 CGI should be fine to run as the php-handler. If you weren't running ruid2 I would suggest suPHP.

You can read about PHP handlers and each of their benefits here: PHP Handlers - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider

Eoler

Mar 1, 2016
Kastav, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
mod_ruid2 and php-fpm are not the same thing. They can be run in conjunction with each other.
Yeah, I asked for similarity/equivalence with regards to running PHP in context of cPanel account (user) and they both do it properly.

So, here's the answer to the original thread question:

Quickest & easiest way to add newer PHP version to Prefork MPM + Mod_RUID2 + Mod_DSO EasyApache4 configuration is to start customizing existing profile and:
- select additional Apache module: mod_proxy_fcgi
- select additional PHP version (i.e. PHP71)
- select additional PHP extensions: (all needed PHP71-* from previous version except php71-dso) + php71-php-fpm
* review & provision

After provisioning adjust INI values in MultiPHP INI Editor (i.e. copy INI parameter customizations from older PHP version).

After that open MultiPHP Manager, go to list Set PHP Version per Domain and pick ea-php71 in dropdown next to domains that need newer PHP version, and finally switch on PHP_FPM.

Reactions: cPanelLauren