The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easiest way to install cPanel on multiple VPS'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DBJoshua, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

I have a question.. we all know VPS' come with various OS templates. For this example, let's go with CentOS 5 :

Typically, how you would do it would be :

Create VPS/Assign IPs/Assign Hostname
    Login
    cd /home
    wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    sh latest

Now, if you only deply 2-3 vps' per day, that works. However, when you're deploying 20-30 vps' per day, that gets tedious.

Now, we could make a template where cPanel is installed (fresh, with no configuration done), but it somehow keeps the original nameservers/hostname and IPs, rather than those of the new VPS.

Is there some script, or some sort that I can use to templatize the cPanel install, and have it auto-update its nameservers/hostname to the new VPS, without having to manually go in and do it?

2. maxmk

maxmk Registered

I would suggest using VPS cloning... create a new VPS and install cPanel on it. After that remove hostname and nameservers from wwwacct.conf file as well as remove the IP and hostname from the main server. Now create 20-30 clones of the same VPS and just assign IP address and hostname to them.

But I don't think it’s possible to edit the cPanel configuration files automatically to add hostname and nameservers. Also these configuration need to be filled by the User or your customer.

3. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

Max,

Thank you for the answer. If we remove those entries from wwwacct.conf, right after installation, will they be removed from WHM as well (so when someone logs into WHM, they will see <blank>) ?

Also, removing the IP and hostname, shutting it down, and restarting it. Then shutting it down, cloning.

On restart, when given an IP and hostname, it will automatically pull those from the /etc config files?

4. DBJoshua

DBJoshua Active Member

Can I also remove the IP and all defining information in the wwwacct.conf file? Such as the email address and so on?