The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easyapache 3 thoughts

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by sparek-3, Nov 3, 2007.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have just started working with Easyapache 3. I have to say my first thoughts, I'm not that impressed. Maybe its because I am not going to Apache 2 yet. I know this is one of the main reasons for Easyapache 3. I know Apache 2 and 2.2 is going to have to happen sooner or later, but we have a lot of servers. When I do the upgrade to Apache 2, I want to upgrade them all. I don't want to have some servers with Apache 2 and some with Apache 1.

Anyway, so I am still using Apache 1.3.39 with Easyapache 3. I am a little confused by all of the included configuration files. I know cPanel wanted to get away from direct Apache configuration file editing, but I used that a lot.

For example, I run a customized suPHP set up and a customized mod_security set up. When I install mod_security, the module gets loaded directly into the httpd.conf file. When I rebuild Apache (new server, so I'm just playing around) the mod_security module is gone.

If you install your own Apache module, what file is the LoadModule and AddModule lines suppose to go in?

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be an option to just not compile PHP with Easyapache3. The custom suPHP set up I use, uses my own PHP compile as well. In the old Easyapache, if a new version of Apache came out, you could just run easyapache and not select PHP. This would just compile Apache, and would not compile PHP. It would not remove PHP, it just wouldn't compile it.

Now with Easyapache 3 it seems that if you select the No PHP option, it actually removes PHP entirely. Is it not possible to just compile Apache and leave whatever PHP version that is installed, active?

It seems that the new Easyapache 3 took away a lot of hand-made customizing. Now everything has to be done through the Easyapache 3 interface or through the series of include files, which I haven't figured out yet.

I suppose I am in the minority in regards to this and if that is the case, I'll just have to make adjustments.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In this thread cpanelkenneth said that AddModule is not needed unless the ClearModuleList directive is used, which Cpanel no longer uses.

So that leaves only LoadModule (which ends up being in httpd.conf).

Look at the top of the 'new' httpd.conf file - You'll see directions for what you need to do when you manually edit httpd.conf.

If you are manually adding Mod_security, put the appropriate LoadModule line in httpd.conf and then do:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update

/var/cpanel/userdata contains the things related directly to individual VirtualHost directives. If you edit any of those manually, you'll need check them in using the distiller I believe.

Somewhere on the forums here is a link, presented many times by various Cpanel staff, that tells about the changes in configuration files and such for EA3. Of course they seem to think it is God's gift to instructional material, when it really tells you just the bare basics :)

I did not answer all of your questions - somebody else will have to address some of them. I don't think you are in the minority - I think it is a learning curve for everyone. So far I'm fine with it though.

Mike

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply. I was a little frustrated when I opened this thread and that may have shown through. I still have some concerns about the new set up, I'm sure it is for the better and it is going to take some getting used to. I'm a creature of habit and I was used to just making modifications to the httpd.conf file as I saw fit.

I did notice that there weren't any AddModule directives, so that explains that part.

I just added my mod_security and suphp LoadModule lines into the file, /usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf This does seem to keep the modules loaded when Apache is rebuilt, albeit, the libexec directory is recreated, so you have to copy a backup of the Apache modules into that directory after recompiling Apache. Is this not a good solution?

I also noticed that in order to make changes to a specific VirtualHost you have to create a directory:

/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/std/1/username/domain.com

Or if you are using Apache 2, change the 1 to 2 (I'm assuming 2 refers to Apache2 and Apache2.2 all the same).

Then in that directory you just create a something.conf file with the new information you want included in that VirtualHost. The first time you do this, after you save the file you need to run the command:

/scripts/ensure_vhost_includes --user=username

so that those included files are added to that VirtualHost section. Subsequent additions to that VirtualHost don't appear to need this command run.

The downside to this is that you can't reuse information in a VirtualHost. For example, a VirtualHost container would have the lines:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_UserGroup user group
    </IfModule>

If the account needed to use a different php.ini file, previously I could just edit this section to read:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_UserGroup user group
    suPHP_ConfigPath /etc/altconfigs/php1
    </IfModule>

Now you have to create a something.conf file in the directory structure detailed above and add the lines:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_ConfigPath /etc/altconfigs/php1
    </IfModule>

Its a bit more tedious, but I'm starting to understand that a little bit more now.

It seems that the new set up uses a lot of Includes, which I'm not sure I like. But I also suspect that Easyapache3 is really meant to be running Apache2, which I'm not just yet.

I guess it will just take some getting used to.