EasyApache 3 to 4 - now php 7.2 appears unavailable & cpanel php selector 404's

oldie

Sep 11, 2019
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Was on EasyApache 3 and an old version of php [5.2].
Requested an upgrade with the webhost and was quoted as a .5 to .75 hour task to upgrade to EasyApache4, newest version of WHM [86.0.4, was on 76 or 78] and to be running php7.2

Ended up being a 12.5 hours task - with all websites down and with laggy updates at to what was happening [3 hours to respond and many different 'names' appearing to respond each time in reply] and in the end, the reason I wanted the upgrade [to be running php7.2] wasn't even achieved - versions either side appear to be there, the default is 5.6 [as per attached image].

cPanel account shows a 404 for the php version selector [as per attached image]. Running a phpinfo on the account shows php5.6 running.

So now I'm too scared to ask them to do it again in case I have a repeat, or worse of the same experience.

Any advice? cPanel staff able to look into this perhaps and fix without a repeat of a > 12 hour website outage?

Attachments

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear about your migration from EA3->EA4 experience. I'd suggest resolving this you open a ticket with us as there are a number of issues occurring all at once here it seems.
If you're comfortable making changes over the command line interface and you don't want to open a ticket I'd be curious to know what the output of the following is:

This is going to output quite a bit
Code:
rpm -qa |egrep 'ea-php7|alt-php7'
are you aware of any details regarding the migration process? Any errors or issues they ran into?

The documentation here may be helpful The EasyApache 3 to EasyApache 4 Migration Process | cPanel & WHM Documentation

Do you know if they ran the CL conversion script? Installation | Documentation

oldie

Sep 11, 2019
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello Lauren

Thank you, I have raised Support Ticket ID: 93456159

I have included the support ticket correspondence between the webhost and myself in that ticket. In regard to your question "Any errors or issues they ran into?"
At one stage they claimed:
"The previous EA3 to EA4 upgrade caused issues in the server and compromised apache service. We tried to recompile apache but the issue still persist. We will now check this further with the cPanel support and will update you shortly."

then later

"I am now checking this issue. It seems the cpanel binaries got somehow corrupted with the EA4 upgrade and your server is now running out of memory. I have now assigned 8G RAM and it is also almost used up."

then later again

"Soon after the Apache upgrade to EA4, it seems many binaries on the server went missing due to a failed upgrade and to resolve that we copied the missing binaries from another cPanel server which corrected that particular issue. "

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @oldie

I'm really glad you opened a ticket. I've noted it with this thread as well. I'm unsure of all the details surrounding the situation in which a provider caused the server to be in this state but I would be extremely concerned. I've flagged this as an emergency in our ticket system as your services are down, someone should be handling it soon.

Thanks!

oldie

Sep 11, 2019
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Sorry Lauren, just in case you may have thought websites were offline - websites are back online, just that they took 12.5 hours for a task they said would take .5 to .75 an hour and in the end, yes services that are an issue are that I cannot select php version via cpanel [404] and php 7.2 isn't listed in WHM.

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Seems that there is ntPHPSelector in that server, I'd think it should have been uninstalled before the EA3 to EA4 upgrade,

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Seems that there is ntPHPSelector in that server, I'd think it should have been uninstalled before the EA3 to EA4 upgrade,
It looks like this was provided by the host, based on the ticket responess

@oldie in the event they did your conversion I'd assume it would have been removed by them as well, I'd assume normally. I checked in on the ticket and it looks like the analysts were able to get the correct packages installed and working for you, are you still having any issues?