The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

easyapache not so easy? PHP scripts not working

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Final-Solution, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Final-Solution

Final-Solution Well-Known Member

I ran easyapache and ever since I've been having problems. First no PHP scripts would work at all just a 500 error, but I got that fixed.

Now the only problem is that the scripts won't save any data. I've got a shopping cart program and some forums. When trying to post the data simply isn't being saved on the forms and I just get an error saying that all fields were blank. On the shopping cart when I try to add an item the results are just a blank item.

It also seems I can't delete the blank items either :/ Not getting any kind of errors though other than the forum posts saying the fields are blank.

Any ideas?

#1 Final-Solution, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Final-Solution

I'm guessing it's some sort of permissions issue, but don't know where to look :/ When trying to install SMF the bottom of the install script gives this error:

I've tried chmod /tmp 777 and it still says permission denied. I hope these two issues are related :P

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    setting tmp to world writable is a very bad idea.

4. UBERHOST

UBERHOST Well-Known Member

Get some Linux/OpenBSD hardening help here.

#4 UBERHOST, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  5. Final-Solution

No idea what the problem is, but it's effecting all the domains on the server. I have the server colocated and just putt around with it, hosting a couple domains for me and a few friends. Anyone with more experience got a minute or two to check it out? It worked before I rebuilt apache/PHP from WHM so I hope it's not a huge thing, just haven't been able to find any hints online since I'm not sure what the problem even is :/

I sent off an email to the tech guy where I have the server set up, but he's off for the holiday.

#5 Final-Solution, Jul 5, 2008
  6. UBERHOST

Why not submit a ticket to cPanel?

7. Final-Solution

Would they fix something for me if it's not a direct result of CPanel? I'm hoping to get this fixed up by the start of the week. I'll submit a ticket right now and see if they can help :)

I'm not getting any errors on screen so I don't even know what to look for online to help push me in the right direction :/ Usually if I have an error I can google around a bit and get it fixed up.

8. Final-Solution

I put in a support ticket, but it said there was 28 ahead of me. Since it worked before I'm guessing it's a simple thing that I'm just not thinking of :/

#8 Final-Solution, Jul 5, 2008
  9. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

have you checked your http error logs? there may be a clue in there, although I've found many of these situations dont really log anything useful.

/tmp should be chmod 1777 not 777
    the realiity is, in shared hosting tmp has to be world writeable, so all the advise not to have that isn't really helpful.

the other thing I've seen is the permission on the actual user directories.

if they're world writeable then it won twant to run php scripts.
    the users public_html folder should be owned by them, group them or nobody mode 750
    under there should be owner:group should be the user acount and at least mode 750 or 755

10. Final-Solution

Thanks. I tried setting up a brand new account just as you suggested, but it didn't seem to help. CPanel is checking it out now, pretty quick! They actually emailed me back on Sunday which is really cool :P Hopefully it can be fixed . .

11. UBERHOST

Their ticketing system and the quality of technical assistance is great. Please do let us know the outcome.

12. Final-Solution

When I redid apache/php PHP was set to suphp, which was giving me 500 Internal Server Error since alot of the stuff Ihad played around with was 777. So I set it to CGI, which get rid of the 500 errors, but then some PHP scripts weren't working right . . long story short they set it back to suphp and changed the permissions and it's working fine :)

They even emailed me Sunday, who works on Sundays? You're right, they do have great assistance :)