The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easyapache takes 3 hours to compile Apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by deieno, May 4, 2008.

1. deieno

deieno Well-Known Member

Hi...
    I just open the thread cause it seems very strange since my other server don't have this issue.

I have one specific server that takes 3 hours (or more) to compile apache. Other servers I have don't take so much.

This is a simple server:
    Processor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
    Processor #1 speed: 3000.000 MHz
    Processor #1 cache size: 2048 KB
    Memory: 2gb

Since my other server have a better configuration I ask:

Is this normal? Should it take so long? Is there anyone with similar issue? is there a way to fix?

If anyone could help.... it's not a life or death case cause I don't compile apache every day but it's a curiosity

2. deieno

deieno Well-Known Member

just to add, it was not 3 hours. When I post this thread easyapache was running for 3 hours and I thought it was about to finish, but... it took 6 hours to finish

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

We had a machine that took a very long time to compile apache. Seems that when it was doing various ports it would pick up dependencies of stuff from X11 and then would go through the whole X11 "world". You might want to ssh into your box when you recompile apache and see what is running or check the apache logs. I would bet you are recompiling unecessary stuff that is just dependencies of things and that pulls in more and more crap until it drags out forever.

4. deieno

deieno Well-Known Member

hehe.. 50 minutos would be nice since I have to wait 6 hours to compile it..
    and since I didn't tell, I was compiling apache 2.2 with php 5.2.6 but the same happened with other php version

5. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

If it helps any, it's taking my boxes about 50 minutes to run (Apache 2/PHP 5), which is still ridiculous IMO.

:D Bailey

6. deieno

deieno Well-Known Member

I compiled from ssh... it was running but it was slow,
    in fact, there were a lot of php modules such as curl, cursl ssl, gd and other, but still I never did the same behavior in other servers

7. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well if you do not see the stuff like I mentioned then you should check the machine to see if you arent running out of memory or if your system is running your hard drives in some slow mode like WDMA2 or something. Check your dmesg to see what it shows for your hard drive controller or chipset. If its an IDE it should be something in the UDMA66 or higher range, probably UDMA 100. It's also possible that when your machine is pulling in files it is not able to talk to the various servers it tries to pull ports off of and has to timeout for each one and this adds time to the whole process, but you would have to check all of that as it goes along.

Apache shoudnt take that long to compile unless something really bad is happening.

#7 nyjimbo, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  8. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just a note, he is running CentOS 5. There is no /usr/ports tree therein ;)

As for why the build took 6 hours, I have no guess right now, other than to suggest looking at the rest of the system to determine what else was happening.