The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EasyApache Tomcat 7 issues

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Aelanna, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Aelanna

Aelanna Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm a longtime Java developer who has unfortunately not been much of a system administrator and I recently consolidated all of my various personal projects under a single VPS solution. All of the html/php accounts set up just fine, but I have a single Spring MVC Java application that I'm having a heck of a time trying to get working.

I followed all of the instructions on the documentation for setting up Tomcat 7, installed servlets on the cPanel account I set up for it, manually unzipped my appname.war file to the /public_html folder, and added the mod_jk entry to [I'm assuming it's supposed to be httpd_jk.conf? I'm not seeing any other file it could be...], and it's just not working.

1. When I go to domain.com, I get a 404 from Tomcat itself.
    2. When I try to hit my index.jsp test file, I get the same 404.
    3. Any attempts to hit something under domain.com:8080 causes the browser to spin and eventually time out.
    4. I'm not seeing any errors in catalina.err when I'm tailing it.
    5. I'm also noticing that Tomcat is automatically trying to deploy my appname.war to the /work/domain.com folder, but it's only transferring the jar libraries and .class files, none of the webapp resources like the html, css, js, or image files.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Is there something special that needs to be done to get a non-JSP-based Java web application to run?

On an unrelated note (and as an option of last resort), is there any way to run a standard Tomcat installation alongside cPanel/WHM? I don't intend to run more than one java webapp on this VPS and the list of restrictions on what EasyApache/Tomcat7 can or can't do is honestly giving me a headache.

Sorry in advance if I'm missing something extremely obvious; as I mentioned, I'm a frontend developer and not much of a sysadmin. :(

2. Aelanna

Aelanna Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry in advance for the bump, but is there any insight into this at all? I tried rebuilding EasyApache from scratch and it still isn't working, not even the jsptest.jsp file that's put there by default.

Should I open a support ticket instead?

3. Aelanna

Aelanna Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update: As it turns out, I had just simply forgotten to open a hole in the firewall. Never mind!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see you were able to resolve the issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.