The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EasyApache2

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by gunmuse, Jan 27, 2007.

1. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

As promised Cpanel has updated their package to work with Apache 2.2

As usual using EasyApache2 will crash your server. None of the Apache libraries were loaded tons of errors when installing and compiling php.

Apache is the heart and sole of a webserver and this should priority number 1 to make sure that Easyapache works flawlessly.

cpanel support logged in to fix the problem this morning but only logged in looked around and didn't actually repair anything.

Don't under any circumstances upgrade your apache using Cpanel.

2. Nhojohl

Nhojohl Well-Known Member

EasyApache1 runs flawlessly on my server but if I try using EasyApache2... Shit hits the fan:mad:

I get an unbelievable amount of problems with EA2, the first time I did it my entire:
    /usr/local/apache/bin folder was removed... I tried it multiple times after that and every single time something went wrong with PHP. The php.ini file kept getting insanely out of whack, i.e. I tried compiling with phpSuEXEC and it left mod_php5 in php.ini, that sure as heck didnt work out in my favor...

I think EA2 needs a LOT of work... So for now I'm just going to downgrade to Current and use the normal one whenever I need to re-compile PHP.

3. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

you should be posting this in bugzilla... I dont think dan (whose seemingly responsible for easyapache2) takes the time to read the forums... he does, however, respond to bugzilla requests... also make sure you include all relevant server info and error messages so he can start looking into the problem..

"shit hits the fan" isn't a terribly useful bit of information for someone trying to figure out from where the shit started flying.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    EasyApache 2 is only avaiable in EDGE. If you are not an accomplished System Administrator or Developer, you should not be using EDGE. The new EasyApache 2 also brings many new features beyond support for Apache 2.x that is why it is not being made avaialble in any other branches.

If you really want to run EDGE for the benefits of EasyApache 2, then you need to be willing to report all problems, in detail, via support tickets, not Bugzilla.

5. Ulysses

Ulysses Well-Known Member

What are the current scheduled release dates for the CURRENT and RELEASE versions, do you know?

6. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At the soonest, it won't happen until I'm done breaking it into little bits.

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Well-Known Member

I take it you don't know.

8. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. Whether I know or not, I am not authorized to disclose such information

2. QA can still break it too easily

3. Non-QA can still break it too easily.

9. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Don't expect much to work in the Edge release and don't use it on a production server.

10. freedman

that wasn't a terribly helpfu answer to what is a pretty valid question.

if you dont know and/or aren't authorized to provide that information, who is & how would, say, a paying customer go about finding out this information?

I think, if apache 2.0, hadn't come out so VERY VERY long ago, people wouldn't be as impatient.
    I think we all understand it's complex, but when the decision was made to have easyapache2 do more than just apache2, it would have been nice for customers to be informed about the additional development time required.

this way we could have decided to either go with one of the miriad other panels which do, and have for a long time, offer apache 2 support, or would just know to be patient.

good news is better than bad news, but bad news is better than no news at all.

11. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    NO, but it was honest, and more than merely saying "I cannot disclose the schedule".

The same way it's always been: http://www.cpanel.net/company/contact/contact.html

Everything EasyApache2 does is cetered around Apache. It is far more flexible and robust than EasyApache1. But it's not just EasyApache2 that holds cpanel 11 in EDGE status. It's the entire package.

12. freedman

touche :P
    I gave it a shot.. it'll be interesting to see if their answer differs from yours :P
    again.. given the importance to a webserver in, say, a web host manager product, it would seem that steps would have been taken to insure keeping up with new versions of the key component of the web server wouldn't be held up by a bunch of minutae....

perhaps you could suggest in the next development meeting that, once this release is behind you all, someone takes a few moments to figure out how to remove some of the interdependancies so that such major features aren't held back for so long in the future.

just my .02

13. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

ok first of all. i am using edge on a production server. x3 theme and all the features. everything is very smooth actually. yet i do not dare to use easyapache2.

anyway my point is that it already passed a HUGE amount of time since apache2 has been out, and there are other cpanels out there that already have apache2 support. you might say now "don't like it don't buy it" but it doesn't work this way, we pretty much need and already paid the software, so it would be nice if more attention would be directed to the CORE things. and apache is pretty much "the thing"

i appreciate the work, and i suppose that everyone else is. it's a great software, but would be very cool if the development of it would be made a lil bit more ... mindfocused on the important features.

14. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

If cPanel will not give any indication of a release date, is that not another way of saying... 'At the present time the EDGE build of the software is so bug ridden that we really dont have a clue when it will be released'?

Apache 2 support will probably be released around the same time everyone else switches over to Apache 3 :)

15. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Focusing on EasyApache2 - I can tell you some obstacles that has blocked to this point:

#1 is getting all the Apache modules and PHP Extensions working on all our supported platforms. This means making sure we have a reliable method of installing a module/extension dependencies, and that we can compile them. Sometimes that's easy, we can use yum/up2date/ports, but many times what is available via those methods are too old. If we install the dependency from source is our buildchain then new enough to compile on a given platform? We've found some instances, even on recent platforms (CentOS 3) where it's not. What then?

#2 is FrontPage support. FrontPage sort of worked with Apache 2, not at all with Apache 2.2 and then that module was removed by Microsoft. What now? Many, many customers in turn have customers that rely upon FrontPage. WebDav can be used for publishing, which is the only portion of FrontPage we can do something about (we don't touch webbots ;)), however the web_dav module in Apache requires that Apache have read/write (at minimum) access to the destination directories/files. From a security standpoint, we didn't like that, thus we needed a different solution, in the form of a standalone WebDav agent.

I could go on, but I need to get back to work. Let me wrap upon by saying I appreciate all your comments in this and other threads. Katmai, thanks for some of your reports in other threads, and if you are nervous about using EasyApache2 the next EDGE build should have all options working reliably on our major platforms, including the configuration conversion from Apache1 -> Apache2.x W eare focused on the important features, but it's not always easy to convey that via forum posting.

16. freedman

I put in a request for information from Sales... and was told.

"it will be relased by the end of the month"

so, hoping nothing slips in QA, this particular nightmare should be over.

17. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I think its a waste of time to build future support for Frontpage. And I can't envision the day that I would ever see a user requesting Apache2 that uses Frontpage. That would be almost an oxymoron.

If Microsoft themselves have EOL'd support for the thing (that barely worked on it's best day) why bother wasting time developing support for it? Its is a pain in the butt to support currently because of all its little nuances.

Now they (Microsoft) don't support it and we are expected to? Yes, it can always be turned off in cPanel but that's not the point. The point was I think time could be spent in other places instead of making this a bulleted "#2" that slows things down.

The customers are going to have to update their HTML authoring tools, and even Frontpage's successor, "Expression Web" doesn't require the proprietary extensions.

I'd vote drop support for it completely.

What Happened to Frontpage?

Also, cited from this site, though I can't really vouch for its legitimacy or where they get their source info...:
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/microsoft_expression_web.php
    The sooner we can get everyone closer to standards-based the better off we will all be ;)

#17 myusername, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  18. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unfortunately that viewpoint doesn't stand up to reality. Many people use FrontPage, despite the fact Microsoft EOLd it sometime ago. Desptie the fact they announced it well in advance. People continue to buy FrontPage 2003.

it's not the Exensions that were worth implementing, it's the simplified publishing. Even expressions uses WebDav for publishing. Implementing a working WebDav agent without the shortcomings of mod_webdav brought enough benefit to warrant implementation.

Oddly enough, implementing the WebDav agent was simple, starightforward and quick. What consumed time was attempting to get mod_frontpage working with Apache 2. An effort that was brought due to customer request (to my knowledge).

19. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I don't see why that is cPanel's problem or a web hosts problem for that matter. Thats an issue between the customer and Microsoft who sold them a product that has no support. Caveat Emptor as they say.

I am not disagreeing people still use Frontpage, but I convince as many as I can to use something less hoakey, and nearly always get thanked for it in the end.

It should be exceptionally easy to convince people now that I can just say "Well MS does not support it anymore, here is the upgrade path and link to the Microsoft site that talks about it..."

What customer is going to argue when they look at their box that says "2003" on it when you tell them its not supported? It's 2007 now and easyapache2 probably wont be in STABLE until mid to late 2007 or early 2008 right?

I understand the ideas behind legacy support, but somethings are better off forgotten about. Frontpage is one of them. I am sure 98% of the hosts here would agree.

#19 myusername, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  20. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

Kenneth,

As an alternative why not have the option for server administrators to have either Apache 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2.

Include with the separate versions only the packages/modules which are full tested and work reliably in the compilation options.

I've been told that 80% of servers still use PHP 4 however the PHP 5 option is still there for those of us that want to use it.

Also I would assume in similar circumstances that many people still use the default MySQL 4.1 however the option for MySQL 5.0 is included.

I understand that Apache is a different thing altogether, but for those of us who are running multiple servers for dedicated applications and don't need junk like Frontpage and probably don't bother to install anything more than the modules actually used by the applications, the perfomance increases from newer versions of the software could be useful.

How many companies selling hosting and reseller packages actually bother to always upgrade to the latest version of Apache or the latest version of PHP etc anyway?

We don't need cPanel, but we use it because it has some nice features and makes server administration easier, however if it comes to a point where certain updates which will improve application performance take too long to be implemented then eventually also a point will be reached when we say 'Well we are paying $30/month/server for cPanel which totals nearly $2000 a year for the 5 servers we are running, however they cannot provide software updates quickly enough so it would just be easier to clean them off and install and maintain the software ourselves'